Painting over wallpaper

Old 03-08-17, 10:14 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Painting over wallpaper

i was told u can paint over wallpaper instead of taking off wall what is the procedure and what do I need to buy to do this

Old 03-08-17, 12:23 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Don't do it. Horrible as the job is, take the wallpaper off first.

Old 03-08-17, 01:06 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
How nice do you want the wall to look? Painting over wall paper can certainly be done. What you use depends on what the wallpaper is made of but in general I've had good luck thoroughly cleaning the wallpaper then start with an oil based primer. You will see the wallpaper texture and seams through the paint so it's only going to look so good.

For a proper wall finish you need to remove the wallpaper. Some wallpapers come off relatively easy while others can be quite difficult. It just depends on how your walls were prepared before the wallpaper was applied and what adhesive the paper has. Luckily there are many products on the market to make the job easier. If you gouge the wall or take off some of the sheetrock's paper then you'll have to do some patching before painting but that's not a bad job.

Old 03-08-17, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If you paint over wallpaper you have to use an oil base primer first! That prevents the moisture in latex coatings from loosening any of the wallpaper. IMO it is never a great idea to paint over wallpaper! Stripping wallpaper is rarely fun but the correct way to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: