Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

Can plaster go over wood and blend into drywall?

Can plaster go over wood and blend into drywall?

Old 03-19-17, 06:54 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation Can plaster go over wood and blend into drywall?

Finishing renovations, getting ready for drywall.

On our first floor along the stairwell, the double joists parallel to the stairs have a steel reinforcement, but are bowed down 5/8". I've been shimming and shaving other ceiling joists to get the ceiling flat, but can't do anything here.

It's not an 8-foot ceiling so I don't want to lose more height bringing everything down lower to match.

Is there a way of stopping the ceiling drywall just before the double joists and transitioning to a plaster skim coat, to get closer to the proper surface plane? Will the plaster and drywall separate over time? Crack?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-19-17, 07:41 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So you are wanting to drywall up to the joists, then skim coat over the joists to the same level as the drywall?

Being that they are different materials, with at least one full joint I'd say the chance is good that it will show stress cracks in the future.

I realize your head room is low but if all you are talking about is an additional 1/2" to eliminate the possible issue it might be worth it?

Old 03-19-17, 08:28 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
If I understand the location of the problem, right next to the stairs, I'd probably cap the double joists with a piece of wood trim, and then butt the sheetrock into the trim using sheetrock J channel. You may have to add some blocking for the sheetrock.

As Marq1 said, movement is likely and a skim coat will likely crack.

Another option would be a strip of 1/4" sheetrock over the joists. That's less likely to crack than a skim coat right on the wood, but still more likely to crack than full thickness sheetrock.

Old 03-19-17, 11:45 AM
S
Thanks guys. Never heard of sheetrock J-channel. Does that get painted over with the sheetrock?

Old 03-19-17, 11:53 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It's just plastic or metal (both are available) channel that hides the uneven edge of sheetrock when it's against a dissimilar surface. All you see when it's done is the thin edge of the J. It can be painted.

Old 03-19-17, 01:49 PM
S
Great guys - thank you for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: