Blower stops when A/C running

Old 04-16-17, 04:36 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blower stops when A/C running

Hi, all. New to the forums, and I have a question about my system. I have a nordyne gr4ga-036k072 packaged unit. It is about 11-12 years old. My understanding is it is basically a contractor grade unit from when my home was built. We have been in the home for about 9 months, but this problem has just cropped up in the last two weeks. I have a Nest that has been in place since right after we moved in.

To make a long story short --

1. Heat and blower works fine
2. System off, fan set to ON position works just fine
3. A/C set to ON, blower works fine for a varied amount of time from a couple hours to several days, then stops running even though the compressor continues to run. So far, my workaround has been to shut the A/C off, turn the fan to ON, then turn A/C back on. Blower will continue to run with compressor running. Will run this way til the desired temp is reached and the compressor shuts off.

I had a tech come out. Refrigerant was fine, all parts of the system tested fine. He went ahead and cleaned the coils. He checked all the wiring and connections. He said to let him know if the problem continued. Well it happened again just hours later. Any thoughts? Could it be the circuit board?

Last edited by Flapjack71; 04-16-17 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Correct spelling, add clarity
Old 04-17-17, 09:51 AM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
This problem can be either in Thermostat, control board or the blower itself. You will need a multi-meter to test the power supply at T-stat, control board, and at the blower. Try to narrow down the problem area and go from there.

Old 04-18-17, 05:20 PM
F
Update

I switched the upstairs Nest and the downstairs Nest to see if the problem would replicate with the upstairs unit or the originally affected downstairs unit. So far, the problem has not replicated on either system.

Last edited by Flapjack71; 04-18-17 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-17, 02:34 PM
F
Update 2

Disregard previous update. Despite switching thermostats, the problem happened again in the same unit, the downstairs unit. Next thoughts anyone?

Old 04-20-17, 09:12 PM
C
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
If that's the case, then the T-stat is not your problem. you need to check the control board or the blower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: