Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Name:  bathroom1.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  25.6 KB

Name:  bathroom2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  32.1 KB

I just tore out the vanity on the left side of the picture and removed the shower stall where the drain can be seen. I'm not sure what my options are for adding the tub given the location of the drain and that other pipe (vent pipe, maybe?). I'm assuming that I'll have to jackhammer out the concrete if I want to move the pipe somewhere behind the future tub so I'm looking for alternate ideas.

The tub is going to sit against the back wall with the head of the tub where the shower stall was.

Could I maybe build a half wall and hide the pipe?

I'm all open for advice/ideas.

Thanks!

Last edited by PJmax; 04-17-17 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 04-18-17, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Without a lot of digging, the vent will almost certainly need to stay in place, so building a wall back would be best. What are the width and length measurements, assuming you plan on this positioning of the tub? You will need to excavate a tub "pit" in order to access the trap below the surface and to allow you to reconfigure the drain for a tub location. I would leave the pit with nothing but gravel in it once you install the tub so things can move slightly.

Name:  bathroom2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  32.4 KB

Old 04-20-17, 12:52 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Chandler, thanks for the reply!! Sorry, I couldn't catch up on posting until now.

The dimensions are roughly 33 1/2 inches by 73 inches. Here's another picture where I'm trying to install a pedestal sink. I've got to figure out what to do with the piping there too.

Name:  20170420_124341.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 04-20-17, 03:16 PM
You are doing a remodel. Tear out all the walls back to studs. I mean, really, what do you plan on doing with that wallpaper? At that point you can move your plumbing to a better suited location for all the stuff like toilet, shower, sink.

Old 04-20-17, 11:58 PM
N
Or maybe we can call it a butcher job. That would look pretty ghetto leaving the pluming right there, eh? What you don't see in the picture is an adjacent pipe blocking the rerouting through that stud. I just found that after opening the wall. Maybe I'd be better off putting in a small vanity with a sink and just hiding that plumbing altogether.

The plan was to mud/texture/paint over the wallpaper so completely stripping it to the studs isn't out of the question. I'm winging it with no experience doing remodels.

Old 04-21-17, 03:21 AM
Yeah, if you are restricted in moving the pipes, a small vanity may look better. Doing remodels for a living, I find that a clean palate gives you a breath of fresh air and allows you to do more with the room and makes it all go smoother.

Old 04-25-17, 10:27 AM
N
Hey Chandler, I got pulled off on another project. I'm back at this one. Here's what the pipes look like next to the sink.

The broken pipe is the one for the sink. The rest of the pipe supports a washing machine drain on the other side of the wall. So I guess I could move all of this stuff. Any ideas on what I could do with the kitchen drain pipe and still keep that pedestal? Any way to run it over to the sink without moving it and still making it look nice somehow?

Old 04-25-17, 12:52 PM
You'll need to remove more of the sheetrock, but can you make the associated moves? The supply lines won't be a problem. The typing is too small. Sorry. Cut the pipe at the red line. Move the washer trap above the sink if possible. Extend the sink around the corner along with the supply lines.

Name:  pipes.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  31.3 KB

Old 05-27-17, 12:02 PM
N
Hey Chandler, I finally found a tub so am resuming my remodel. I did get the sink plumbed in fine (pictures forthcoming) and I've been watching some Youtube videos on cutting in a tub pit. I'm not sure how close I can get to the foundation wall (code allows).

On the subject of the tub pit: Can I instead raise the tub up on blocks (or buy taller legs) by a couple of inches and jack in the plumbing without breaking the concrete?

The other question I have is related to the pipe to the left of the shower drain. I believe this is a vent pipe that dives down into the slab. I'd really love to eliminate this from the room. Can I instead put in some Air Admittance Valves?

I've include a picture of the small claw foot tub I'm going to refinish and install. Name:  tub.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 05-27-17, 03:09 PM
Can I instead raise the tub up on blocks
This isn't an abandoned car. No. Do it right, cut the slab. Of course you'll need to locate the drain pipes, so be careful with your saw and don't let it go too far below the slab. That is where the pipes will be.

There would be no need to eliminate the vent. We can't see it, however, so still speculation.

Old 05-27-17, 04:10 PM
N
Cool. Thanks Chandler,

I'll get to work locating the drain pipes and building that tub pit. Here's a pic of what it looked like after I removed the shower. I think that vertical pipe next to the drain is the vent. That sound right? I didn't fully understand your response and am hoping I can eliminate that pipe or move it somewhere else so I don't have to build a wall in front of the tub to conceal the pipe.

Name:  vent pipe.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  33.0 KB

Old 05-27-17, 04:18 PM
I didn't know where it was in relation to the location for the tub. If a wall is not in the mix, then you will have more concrete to bust out and run the vent over to the wall behind the tub head and up. Seeing above will help, too, as you can't run it squarely across. It must be at an angle to allow residual water to flow down and not become trapped in a corner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: