new evap motor

Old 07-30-17, 04:27 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new evap motor

I purchased a half horse power evap motor at Home Depot. I removed new motor from box and could not see installation information. So I just went for it anyway. I noticed on both sides of motor a copper metal tab of sorts that I decided to remove. I was thinking these were in place during shipping and needed to be removed. I installed motor and new pulley, which I adjusted per instructions on package. Started unit up and all seems good for now. I got a little concerned afterwards, thinking those metal objects needed to stay. I went back to the box and looked again for instructions and found them hiding. I read that material and no mention of copper pieces was found. Could someone offer some advice or comments.

Old 07-30-17, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm thinking they may be ground straps or tabs.
Was there a green wire coming out of the motor for grounding ?

I looked at the motors from depot and didn't see any copper straps in the pictures.
Can you post the model number of the motor you bought ?

Old 07-31-17, 07:55 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The model is #2204 manufactured by Dial Manufacturing 2 speed 1/2 HP. When you select this motor on Home Depot's page, choose picture #3 showing the motor shaft. Look directly below the shaft; you will see a very small copper colored object attached there. I used a small screwdriver and needlenozed pliers to remove them. Motor still runs and sounds fine.

Old 07-31-17, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
My guess is that it's some sort of grounding tab for the bearings. To prevent galvanic corrosion or similar? Doubt you'd be able to re-install them.

Old 07-31-17, 11:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Those are (were) grounding tabs. Make sure the motor is grounded. A jumper between the motor and the metal frame or perhaps there's a ground wire in the power cord.

Name:  dial.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  30.0 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: