Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Removing/filling in an inground swimming pool

Old 09-09-17, 01:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 20 year old in ground pool with a vinyl liner that we plan to remove. Kids are gone, were retired and summers are just too short here in central New York.

I'm in the process of identifying contractors and requesting estimates to remove the pool. One contractor I spoke with so far who has very good ratings said after removing the liner and breaking up the concrete sidewalk and putting the pieces in the bottom of the hole he would fill the majority of the rest with sand then put on topsoil and seed.

I'm a do-it-yourself but just not familiar with filling in pools or large holes. My gut reaction is that I question the use of sand to fill in the majority of the pool.

I'm hoping someone on this forum has some experience with this subject and can share your opinion and knowledge with me.

Would appreciate your comments.

Thank you

Old 09-09-17, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I have no practical experience back filling a pool but I wouldn't be using sand. I'd be using regular clean fill.

Old 09-12-17, 06:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any other thoughts or comments?

Someone must have experience filling in a pool or deep holes

Old 09-12-17, 07:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I remove all the pool items and fill the hole with dirt. At the minimum you want to remove everything about 18" to the surface and cut numerous drainage holes in the bottom of the liner then fill the hole with dirt.

Dirt offers the best substrate for trees, shrubs and grass to grow in the future but it can settle over time if you don't properly compact during installation. I'm usually doing it at one of my rental houses so I just plan on coming back in a couple years and put another layer of dirt on if it does settle. You can fill the deeper areas with sand or gravel but those materials are generally more expensive and make more a mess having a load dumped on your lawn. You need to have at least 18" of soil on top to grow a lawn but if you ever want trees I would back fill with dirt all the way to the bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: