Do I need a inspection when a new ac installed?

Old 11-19-14, 12:39 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do I need a inspection when a new ac installed?

So my insurance is going to replace my indoor and outdoor ac/heat unit. And I have to pay around $900 total out of the whole cost of replacing it. And they want to install a lennox. And they giving me a option to have a inspection done for additional $250. So my question is should I pay for the inspection? is it worth it? I am still getting updated information how much they will pay for a new unit. so will update that soon. and if any of you have any more information how the insurance handles this kind of situation, any tips would be great. Specially since they love making money.

Old 11-19-14, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What does the inspection cover? who's doing the inspection?

Old 11-19-14, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Yes, inspection for what? Might be a home energy loss inspection? Price is in the ballpark for that.

Old 11-19-14, 01:49 PM
S
The guy said the inspector just check if they taped everything, and seals are OK. check wires. nonsense like that for "safety". lol. and the contractor said my insurance do not cover lineset. and they want to charge me $750 for that installation. how pricey is that bull?

Old 11-19-14, 01:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In my jurisdiction, for an installation like that, a permit would be required to be pulled by the licensed installer. After installation is completed the inspection would be performed by the city code enforcement inspectors and the fee for the inspection is included in the permit fee. The inspectors here check every facet of the installation to ensure the electrical, condensate drains, drain pan, duct work, and mechanical components are all properly installed. So, I would definitely ask the question as to what type of inspection it is and who will be performing it. The fee here is about $50.00 to $75.00 depending on the scope of the job.

Old 11-19-14, 01:56 PM
S
Also its a two floor floor and a finished basement.

Old 11-19-14, 03:04 PM
S
So after talking to them for awhile. They said the inspection is not required since we are only replacing and not adding anything extra. But they recommending that we change the lineset and wants to charge $750 for that. is that expensive ?

Old 11-19-14, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Ridiculous IMO. If it's good...then it's good! Thats why every Pro here thinks the home insurance thing is a scam.

Old 11-19-14, 07:13 PM
S
After they make the payment for my new ac units. I am calling it a quit. $500 per year and $100 deductible is too much. Although it did come in handy as my ac needed repair few months ago but now they charging me a deductible again, even though its similar problem. I do not trust that contractor my insurance sent me. How can I check personally if the line set need replacement.

Old 11-19-14, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Put the $500 in the bank every year. A well installed heating or A/C unit should easily last 15-20 yrs and would only be $3-5K to replace in most areas.

Unless you have a major plumbing issue (which regular insurance would probably cover), doubt you'd spend more than $500 for a call.

Total at my houses in the last 20 years was around $500 for service calls. All HVAC, out of my skill set.

Old 11-19-14, 08:16 PM
S
Yes, thats the plan, Although So far it came very useful. as they replaced my water heat pump, fixed ac, dryer and few other things. they paid about so far 2-3k. and if this get paid. I will finally be even with them. Its my parents house, but after looking at all this cost. I am learning to fix on my own. lol. Only wish I could have cut 20 trees of the back yard. or if they had a insurance for that, i would get that.

Old 11-20-14, 03:22 PM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Insurance is business, they do it for profit. And they do have overhead. When you buy insurance you will pay someones salary, power bill, their taxes, etc, etc. Be self insured and you will save big time. The only art here is to keep the money you save as your personal insurance fund. I keep $10k on my checking account as my insurance and I very seldom need to dip into it. When I have to I just wait until it is back to $10k+ before considering any other spending. Simple, really. And very beneficial.

Old 11-22-14, 02:41 PM
S
Wow, they offering me some terrible units.
Lenix air handler cvx25uh-030
Condensing unit 13hpx-030-230, Serial3 Cat#79w02.

ANy of you got some idea if they are good units or should I buy my own ?

Old 11-22-14, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
One thread!....one thread is all thats needed. Jumping around with a bunch of questions for the same problem doesn't make it easier!

And...please...get your terminology right.

Closing the other short thread as combining will just confuse things.

Old 11-22-14, 07:30 PM
S
I apologize. They said unit plus labor will cost $1800. They wont give me the cost of the unit they providing me. I did not know its that cheap to replace a whole ac unit.

Old 11-22-14, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
The insurance is covering a lot of it (based on all the past payments). I can only speak to what I've read here and asked of local Pro's for my own purposes. Whole unit replacement (outside, inside and line set) would normally be $5-8K as long as duct work is ok. May or may not include furnace.

Still...you are being asked to pay $1800 for something that has been payed on for years. See why home insurance is frowned on here? Plus the the contractors have to fight for payment all the time from the companies from what I know.

In my area, most places use a package (all in one) unit installed on the roof or maybe on the ground outside. Much cheaper to replace in most cases. Simple electrical and gas connections and possibly the use of a small crane. Maybe a 2-3 hr job. $3-4K

Back in VA, most units were installed in the attic or basement (sometimes a utility closet install) and consisted of several components (air handler, furnace, a/c coil and so forth, not always matched name brand parts). Much more labor to install. I saw guys working at my neighbors house an entire day to do a system replacement (he owned a multi-million dollar general contracting company and they were his guys). Something like that is not cheap...prob $8-10 K if he had been paying. Of course he also had them do an upgrade on some ducting.

For a cost comparison, always best to call a few companies in your specific area and get estimates.
Since you have the insurance...might be a little tough to get them to talk.

Sorry if I sounded rude or abrupt in my last reply.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 11-23-14 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-22-14, 09:27 PM
S
Sorry I should have been more clear. I only need to pay for all the disposal and bs fee that is around 900 for disposal fee and some other fees.
They said to replace the units, its costing them $1800. But as you mentioned and I know that it usually cost 5k+ minimum. So how are they going to replace my whole unit for only $1800?
and you were not rude. lol. thats nothing compare to what I deal with in the internet.

Old 11-23-14, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
It's costing them $1800 in the same way it costs any medical insurance company. (Assuming you are talking about the warranty company?) Read my recent post about getting eye drops, or look at one of your own medical bills. Go to a doc and say no insurance, and you pay full price most times. Sometimes a slight discount for payment in full. Insurance may pay far less than that, and you may just pay a fraction at the end.

They have contracts with certain companies who accept a lower price for guaranteed payment and more work without advertising.

They may also be saying with all the other items you mentioned have been fixed that they have lost money over the life of the contract so far?

If it's the actual HVAC company saying it's costing them, then they have a bad contract with the warranty company.

As to brands.....every brand has fair, good, best (or whatever terms you want to use). GM until recently had something like 5-6 brands? Though many products were almost the same, the higher end stuff had more bells and whistles and a better reputation. A Sonic will get you around just as reliably as an Escalade, just not as comfortably or with as much style. The Escalade though, may have more issues due to the complexity. Same with electrical or HVAC companies.

Do a few searches for different products and see how many are owned by the same parent company. They have different product lines. I spent an afternoon once looking at HVAC manufacturers and it was funny how some companies had such basic brands along with supposedly higher end names.

Use Wiki and look up company history, mergers, buyouts, etc.

As any Pro will attest to, it's about 90% installation and 10% name on the side.

Old 11-24-14, 07:32 PM
S
Ok thanks for all this very interesting information. Much appreciated.

Old 11-25-14, 01:31 PM
S
So the insurance will not cover the following charge: Reclaim ($65.00), Electrical ($175.00), Duct Modification ($325.00), Drain Line ($75.00), and Disposal ($175.00).

I do not know if I should pay them disposal and drain line fee? I know they will just sell my unit and get paid. ANd wtf drain line fee? any of you know what that might be? THey are really trying hard to rip me off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: