How to replace HVAC unit by yourself?

Old 03-27-17, 09:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to replace HVAC unit by yourself?

Hello,
currently I have the Trane XL 1200(model wcx036g100aa) and it failed.
How hard would be to replace it with Goodman GPH1436H41?
Both 3 tons.

I see my unit has 2 cables coming out, I assume that one is power(goes to a power box) and another one is a thermostat(goes into a house).

Is it just disconnecting the old wires from the power box and connecting the new ones? And the same with thermostat? I don't know how to find out if they match by number of wires, by power consumed, circuit breakers.
Will the old thermostat will be compatible with new unit?

Please help.
Thank you.

Old 03-27-17, 09:43 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Not a great DIY project.
Most HVAC company's will not even warrenty a DIY installed unit.
Do you have a HVAC licence and a reclaiming unit to vacate the freon?

Old 03-27-17, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Joe said not a great DIY project....... it's not really a DIY project at all.

The wiring is the easy part and the same thermostat as well as power wiring should be ok.

However....
Specialized equipment is needed for connecting the refrigerant lines as well as the refrigerant handing and charging. That requires a an EPA granted license.

Most manufacturers will not honor the warranty on their equipment unless installed by a licensed tech..... regardless of most website claims.

Old 03-28-17, 05:39 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
You'll need a valid EPA card for handing refrigerant as well as a location to dispose of the old refrigerant. I can't go into to much detail as discussing such things is against site rules as refrigerant is federally controlled.
For an install you should be able to buy the needed tools for around $1000-$1500.
You'll likely get no warranty on the new unit, or get one that's very difficult to honor.
I'd also suggest a manual j, d, and s done by a neutral party. You don't want to just slap whatever size you have back in there. A smaller unit is ok almost every time.
Are either of these packaged units?

Old 03-28-17, 07:29 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
This is a packaged unit similar to a refrigerator. You could hire someone to recover the coolant from the old unit then with a certificate take the unit to a scrap yard.

Even if it is a one-for-one replacement the real issue is that these are close to 400 lbs. Do you have a crane to do the install? Next is removing/attaching ductwork which can require sheet metal skills. The power, thermostat, and drain are the easy parts.

Old 03-28-17, 10:18 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Its a 12 seer package cooling

Old 03-28-17, 03:44 PM
M
Thank you so much for all your responses, kind people!
It's "all in 1 unit"
Yes, I've read on the site where I wanted to purchase it, that they will not honor the warranty.
I have no any licenses. I just thought that I can unplug the old unit and plug back the new one.
So, it sounds like I need to shop around for best installation prices.

I wonder, if I just order it and they will just place it on the spot of the old unit, maybe it will cut the pricing.

They want to charge me 7k. It includes unit + installation. The unit costs about 2k-2.6k.

Sounds like they are asking fortune for just installing it.
It's all kinda cruel...

Old 03-28-17, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
That's called a packaged system. If you had the man power you could install it yourself.
Most delivery companies will only drop the skidded unit off. It could be dropped near where you wanted it but it still needs to be taken off the skid.

I install generators and they are only "skid dropped" too.
I have to get them off the skid and moved into place.

A would agree that 5k for install of that unit sounds a little excessive. Really the only thing we can do is to recommend you get several prices for the installation of the same exact unit. A packaged unit replacement is a fairly easy job. The ductwork is the only real problem.

Old 03-28-17, 08:14 PM
M
The company I contacted say that they will put it exactly where I need it, using a forklift. One will charge extra $100, another says that it will be free.

Someone on this thread says I need "tools for around $1000-$1500." Also:
"Specialized equipment is needed for connecting the refrigerant lines as well as the refrigerant handing and charging. That requires a an EPA granted license."

Also I will not have a warranty.

>The ductwork is the only real problem.
I was told that they are standard. You disconnect the old ones and connect the old ones. Why it's hard?

Old 03-28-17, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
In your first post you just left the model number. It wasn't originally realized you had a packaged system. We were referring to a standard split system installation.

I can't comment on the warranty. Most companies won't cover the warranty on refrigeration equipment that wasn't installed by a certified technician. I don't know if that also includes packaged units. Read the fine print.

There is a supply duct and a return duct. That is standard. Whether they connect the same way or are in the same exact place may not be standard.

Old 03-29-17, 05:21 AM
R
I know it may seem a bit off this sites purpose, but I would not suggest buying a unit and having it installed by someone. This can cost you several times more than either doing it yourself, or just hiring the whole job out.
Remember, a unit bought off the internet may not have a warranty. And a brand new unit with no warranty that your unable to repair yourself can be costly.
My case in point-
Had a customer buy two refrigeration systems off the internet. Hired my company to install them. When I arrived it was discovered that all the accessories needed, like pressure controls and thermostats, were not included. So he paid me my hourly rate to drive around for half the day collecting what was needed. After the install was done, the one unit wouldn't start because the compressor was locked up. He ordered a new warranty compressor, but it came in wrong. He had to pay me a trip fee to go there and determine the replacement compressor couldn't be used. And he wound up getting me to get the right compressor at his cost because he could not get the correct one from the site he bought the equipment from. And all labor for repairs and extras wasn't covered because he held the warranty, not me. The whole job wound up costing him several times over what it would have been if I'd have sold him the equipment, and he'd have gotten a warranty that way too.
Another guy bought a package unit off the internet, with an ECM blower. The unit was too big for his house, and existing duct. The blower didn't last very long and died due to the duct error. That cost him over $1000. The unit was also delivered with a leaking condenser coil, which I had to fix. Warranty was denied because Goodman said it was due to shipping. He had to eat the cost of repairs there too. Again the job wound up costing several times over what it should have been, at the owners expense. Last I heard he had abandoned the unit because he kept having ECM motor problems caused by the ductwork. I think he was using window units and space heaters.
Something to consider-if your providing equipment then who is doing the load calculations? Bigger is not better, and insufficient duct can cause all sorts of problems.
Read here-

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...vac-brands.htm

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...ign_Issues.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...ty_Control.pdf

http://efficientcomfort.net/document...s_Properly.pdf

I would not suggest just installing whatever size is there. Almost every unit I see in the field is oversized from some past installation.
You can use this free version of a manual J here-

www.loadcalc.net

Your commissioning/startup person should be able to fill out a form such as this one accurately-

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/attachment....1&d=1489971253

Remember, if you install it yourself then your likely able to fix it yourself too. Keeps cost way down.

Last edited by roughneck77; 03-29-17 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:31 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If the duct matches up Id say go for it. Id get a cut sheet to make sure the duct is the same. The low voltage may not be the same so watch it.

Old 04-06-17, 03:30 PM
M
I got away from this with spending about $40.

this is what it was written: "Found the heat strips not working, blown dual capcitor, open windings on the compressor. Fan delay relay sticking.
The client is getting a price quote today for system replacement."

I replaced capacitor and relay(not just relay, whole board with other elements) and everything started to work.

The comment about compressor was a lie. This dishonesty is shocking.

Watch out guys, its defiantly worth to study about how to repair these units yourself.

It's even a good idea just blindingly replace all the boards, capacitors, etc with 100% matching ones, if they don't cost too much of course. And there are just few of them on my unit. It can save you thousands!

Old 04-06-17, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
With a bad capacitor it is probable the compressor tried to start & without the capacitor it overheated. This will cause an internal overload to open & the compressor windings to read as open using an ohm meter. It can take hours for the compressor to cool enough to close the overload switch. Know of what you speak before calling someone a liar.

Old 04-06-17, 08:13 PM
R
It is NOT a good idea to blindly replace parts. Learning how to guess and learning how to do things the right way are completely different.
That's a very poor suggestion to make to people looking for help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: