Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What type of rafters do I have/need?

VA

01-20-17, 12:46 PM   #1 (permalink)  
What type of rafters do I have/need?

I'm in the final design stage of my garage addition and I've hit somewhat of a snag regarding lining up three different roofs all with different pitches. One is a 4/12 (porch), one is 5/12 (main garage), and the other is 8/12 (front of garage). The porch has an 8" overhang/soffit and I want the new garage to also have 8" soffits. The builder has informed me that in order for the fascia boards to line up, the overhang of the porch will need to be extended 8" to meet the front of the garage. I don't agree with this because the rafters on my porch are not the type that extend downward past the ceiling height. Sorry, but I don't know the terminology. Basically, the soffits are 8 ft to the bottom and are the same height as the ceiling. I agree that if the rafters were the type that extended downward past the ceiling that I would need to extend the roof soffit out so it would drop a couple more inches to meet the 8/12 roof with 8" soffit, but that is not what I have and that is not the type of rafters I will be using. First off, can someone confirm my assumptions are correct, and second, what are the names of these two styles of rafters? I'll sketch a drawing later this evening and post it to make it more clear.

Sponsored Links

VA

01-20-17, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)  
The top style is what the builder thought I had, but I actually have the bottom style. What are these two rafter types called?

Name:  20170120_161112.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  13.8 KB

Search this Thread