Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cali Bamboo advice requested

FL

02-11-17, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Cali Bamboo advice requested

We are considering using Cali Bamboo (click) for approx. 2200 sq ft of floor
on top of concrete floor, vapor barrier and cork underlayment.

Any advice, suggestions or warnings about the ease of use, product or other matters to look out for before buying (two weeks away).

We like the look and the sales guy indicates it's easy to install if careful but be wary of not clicking it too far away from its final place since its rather firm trying to slide it.......

Will appreciate any insights.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

02-11-17, 07:55 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Click lock flooring be it bambo or laminate is usually pretty straight forward to install. Complications come around doorways and if there is a pattern (like a faux tile) where you have to match grout lines. There are limitations on the size run so follow the manufacturers recommended max length. Usually have some form or expansion transition at the thresholds of openings. Unless your vapor barrier comes with a preapplied glue strip, use a high quality duct tape to seal the seams. They make all in one underlayments that also act as a vapor barrier. Don't exceed the manufacturers max thickness for underlayment as too thick can cause strain on the click lock mechanisms. Pick up an installation kit - it will have spacers and a tapping block to help get the product to slide to fit under cabinet toe kicks.

Remove all baseboard and door casings and it will make your life easier. When you replace and add shoe molding to finish it off, don't nail the shoe into the floor as it needs to float, instead nail to the base molding.

Last edited by czizzi; 02-12-17 at 04:52 AM. Reason: typo

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

02-12-17, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)  
I agree with Z. A good quality engineered bamboo in click lock will lay quickly and be stable. I have it in our bedroom, and plan on doing the other two bedrooms when I get time

I am not familiar with "cali". Can you give us a link to the flooring you are planning on installing?

Search this Thread