Protect bamboo floors from heavy furniture

Old 06-07-17, 03:02 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Protect bamboo floors from heavy furniture

I just had solid bamboo floors installed in my house. They are glue down and dark in color. Now that the floors are in, I need to move an antique player piano out of storage and into the living room. What can I use to protect the floor from becoming indented from the weight over time?

The piano is estimated to be around 400-500 lbs. and the last time it was moved required 3 strong men to lift it onto dollies and move it out of the house to the moving truck and then into a storage unit. Most recently, two men tried to move it from the back of the storage unit and made it almost 30 feet to the front of the storage unit and gave up, so I know it's pretty heavy. I have found piano movers to move it now but I want to make sure I protect the floors as much as possible.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-17, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Do you have any flooring left? The more you can spread the weight the better. A 4 X 4 inch block under the feet would do the job but don't know if you would want the wood showing.

Old 07-07-17, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
A 4 X 4 inch block under the feet would do the job but don't know if you would want the wood showing.
That was my thought also. If you don't have leftover flooring you could use most any piece of wood stained to match the floor or stain it to match the piano.

Old 02-27-18, 08:14 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You could build a raised platform for the piano to rest on. Place padding down and have a cross section of 2x4s with two layers of 3/4" plywood and bamboo flooring to match the rest of the house.

If you move, take up the platform and the flooring underneath should be as good as new.

Old 02-27-18, 08:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the post, but the original creator of the thread posted once and has not been back since June of last year. So the chance of his seeing your suggestion as slim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: