Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Finishing around outswing door in basement knee wall.

Old 01-31-16, 04:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I put in an out-swing door last year and now I'm working on finishing the basement.

I have a couple questions about framing / preparing for Sheetrock around this door.

Around the inside concrete opening, I'm not sure what I can do to apply Sheetrock here. I was going to put 1/2 foam board here to complete the air seal, but if I do that I'm left with about 3/4" between the foam and edge of the door jamb.

Any suggestions?

Then on each side of the door I think I've decided to install cabinets or shelves above the knee wall, instead of just adding the typical ledge shelf.

I was thinking about framing it out like the image below, adding boards where needed to allow Sheetrock to be attached. (Yellow would be new construction)

Is this a sound plan or are there things I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

Old 01-31-16, 04:53 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Sort of.
Still missing the jamb extentions around the door.
In your area there should have been 2 X 6's and at least R19 insulation in those walls.

Old 01-31-16, 04:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
That looks good. To trim the door out, you will just add an extension jamb onto the existing jamb, so that the face of your new extension jamb will be flush with the drywall. Pocket screws are a good way to attach the new jamb to the door. Your pocket screws will be hidden on the back side of the jamb. Then after drywall, add some casing.

Old 02-01-16, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by joecaption
Sort of.
Still missing the jamb extentions around the door.
In your area there should have been 2 X 6's and at least R19 insulation in those walls.
Thanks joe. I didn't even think of jamb extensions, that makes complete sense. I think the upper framed wall is stuff with R19, as will the lower walls that will be built in front of the foam board (unfaced).

Originally Posted by X Sleeper
That looks good. To trim the door out, you will just add an extension jamb onto the existing jamb, so that the face of your new extension jamb will be flush with the drywall. Pocket screws are a good way to attach the new jamb to the door. Your pocket screws will be hidden on the back side of the jamb. Then after drywall, add some casing.
Ok so should my jamb extensions be coming out all the way even with my outermost framed wall?

Instead of using my foam board between the wall and jamb, should I be using sill plate gasket roll and / or use treated lumber here?

Old 02-01-16, 10:20 AM
Group Moderator
Face of jamb flush with drywall. I would omit the foam behind the jamb and just leave a space by using 3/4" material. After it is installed you can spray foam the gap.

Old 02-10-17, 01:11 PM
Finally making some progress on this.

Turns out a PT 2x10 flush against the concrete cut-out will put it even with the inside of the door jamb, and put it even with the 1/2" drywall on the new wall. And give me enough room to construct a threshold ramp in-between.

Old 05-12-17, 12:57 PM
Old 05-12-17, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Looks good. If you look at the original pictures, you didn't have a super wall built, and that was the reason for suggesting jamb extensions to the edge of the sheetrock. You're good. Not paintable right away, but good.

Old 05-12-17, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah thats where I suggested using 3/4" thick stock (something nice since its trim) for the jamb with foam behind. As long as you're happy with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: