Basement floor coverings

Old 03-08-17, 06:23 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement floor coverings

I read everywhere that using organic materials on basement floor is a big no no. But at the same time most of the most of the how-to's say opposite. For instance lookat the attached picture. It shows plywood.
I understand that basement floor it is not the place to use plywood, but what are the alternatives?Name:  FH04MAY_CARPET_01.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 03-08-17, 07:54 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
There are some options: Ceramic or porcelain or vinyl tile, and some types of luxury vinyl.

And a couple of companies now make vinyl tile and planks that have a raised grid on the bottom to allow some minimal level of air circulation underneath. They also snap together and can be removed and replaced individually in case of damage or some need to access below.

Here's one example: Resurface with TileFlex Aerobic Flooring » Mateflex

See also plankflex by the same company for a wood look.

Old 03-09-17, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The problem with the picture you posted is the plywood is secured with screws. Where do the screws go? Right through your moisture membrane rendering it worthless. Paul's suggestions are spot on for a basement. Others on the forum have suggested going ahead with a moisture test and if negative install carpeting without backing. That way if it should become damaged it can just be pulled out and either dried or replaced. Not the best solution, as a solid flooring is much preferred.

Old 03-09-17, 06:02 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have been reading some articles on buildingsience.com where they say to avoid moisture bariers in the basement. It is supposed to be able to dry out inwards, which make sense to me. I moisture tested both walls and floors in my basement. All was negative. No dew on the back of the plastic film.
I also did not get why they screw the plywood thru plastic film, which compromizes the whole idea))) It is only beneficial to hardware stores)))
Right now I have carpet over concrete floor. But my besement is chilly. So I wanted to insulate floors and walls. On the other hand I do not want to invest a fortune in it coz I do not know how long I am going to have this house. And will the insulating project be cost effective? I am puzzled and confused. I do not like "patching" problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: