Attic walkway across the rafters advice

Old 03-10-17, 07:35 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic walkway across the rafters advice

Hi all,
From an earlier outside deck project, I have a lot of those wooden framed I-beam boards they used to bundle up the deck boards for shipping.
These are constructed using 2"x3" wood with a glued-in piece of plywood down the center of the strips, for the 8 ft. length, 12" wide

I'm thinking of using these along with some 5/8" exterior plywood to build an attic walkway across the rafters (24" OC). Right now there are just a pair of 2"x8" boards that were setup there to work on electric for the bathroom vent light/fan.
Attic is insulated between the rafters with Owens-Corning rolled fiberglass batts.

Would like to construct something that is safer to walk on, extend to the full 40 ft. width of the house and not compress the insulation.

Any tips, suggestions appreciated.
greynold99

Old 03-10-17, 08:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I nail/screw vertical supports to the joists and then another piece horizontally across the top. This creates a level spot raised above the insulation to install walk boards. If the roof or trusses are too far away to offer a hand hold I will also run a hand rail made from scrap. In my house I have access walkways to all important areas like roof penetrations and any equipment installed in the attic.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: