Self leveling concrete and toilet flange?

Old 03-16-17, 07:57 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Self leveling concrete and toilet flange?

I am preparing to tile my basement bathroom and I have never tiled before. I assume I need to pour self leveling underlayment to level the floor before tiling. I looked at youtube videos that show how to pour self levling concrete and notice they said to block the areas where you dont want the cement to go with tape. Should I just tapet the bottom of the walls and the bottom of the tub? I haven't cut away the bottom plate of the wall at the door opening so this would dam the exit but should the SLC also be under the door? I assume I need to tile under the door but there is no door installed yet.

And what do I do with the toilet flange? Should their be self leveling concrete underneath it or just around it? I assume when you tile you cut the tiles around the flange? Also, should the tiles be flush with the surface of the flange or should the flange stick out a little?

Here are the pictures of my basement bathroom I would like to tile.

Name:  20170314_154608.jpg
Views: 1998
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  20170314_154612.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  22.4 KB

Old 03-16-17, 08:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I assume I need to pour self leveling underlayment to level the floor before tiling
Why do you assume that? Is the floor flat? That's more important than whether it's level.

Old 03-16-17, 08:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I assume that, because the top of the floor is kinda rough since we broke the slab to run some plumbing and then poured quikcrete that has some kind of rough surface to it. I assumed tile required a perfectly perfect surface? Maybe not, thinset will absorb those imperfections?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: