Bowed in basement block wall

Old 05-22-17, 09:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bowed in basement block wall

Hello Everyone. First I have to say, Ive learned a LOT over the years with this site.

What I am looking at is 1 to 2 inch bowed in basement walls on a 100 year old 2 story duplex. The house is empty and all plaster removed. The wood is insanely solid. No water damage, no bugs. Its built on old 2x4s and 2x9 beams. Balloon framed. Basement area is 47 feet x 13.5 feet.

Short version:
I plan on building a support wall, dig half the dirt from the outside in 4 to 6 foot stretches down 4 foot. Sort of like redoing a large door section at a time. Power tool the blocks per section out. Replace with new block, mortar in every other with rebar. Blocks will be pre painted on the outside with waterproofing sealer. Top 4 foot will have tar or something else with poly over it. (I know it wont last forever, but long enough for me to sell it in 5 or so years). Im using 4x6 because I use a ton of these for yard work, so I will re-use these easily.

Root Cause Of Damage:
The root cause is failed gutters, soffit & fascia. Also sidewalks broken and angled towards the house instead of slightly away. Almost never any water in basement. Maybe heaviest rain it came in from the floor. Enough to soak a single towel once or so a year. Ive replaced all of gutters, soffit & fascia. Now zero water inside even after the world rain for days in years. The side walks I will replace after the repair (I enjoy concrete & electrical work for some reason, so kinda excited on that part) after the wall work.

I plan to build a support (jack) wall in the basement 2 foot from block wall.

Top of wall and bottom will be 4x6. These will have 2x4 drilled in on both sides of the 4x6 to prevent slippage. Every other floor joist will be vertically connected another 4x6. I will also support each floor 4x6 with 2x4 drilled into the concrete. I will not dig out and poor additional footers as the concrete is 3 to 5 inches and spreading the PSI with 4x6 I think it should be good.

IE.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄...
..█....█....█....█....1 (Outside.is.3.foot.air)
..█....█....█....█....2 (and.5.foot.dirt)
..█....█....█....█....3
..█....█....█....█....4<-.ground.level.outside.
..█....█....█....█....5
..█....█....█....█....6
..█....█....█....█....7
..█....█....█....█....8
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I have 8 19ton steel screw jacks. I will place those against the outside wall, also with 4x6 top and bottom every other joist. Drilled top/bottom places into the 4x6s. Twisted 1/8 turn until I get enough pressure I feel the wood compression is holding well. Im sure 1/4 inch at most into the wood but I will not try to lift off sill plate. (Which is in good condition)

I have another duplex just 6 foot beside the wall so I cant really get heavy equipment to dig it all down. I will dig down the 4 foot down outside instead in sections. This leaves about 4 foot of dirt against bottom of the wall (horizontal pressure should be held well inside) in outside stretches. Basically 4 blocks width and total of 8 foot down.

Now with a 3 or 4 block width all the way down to the lowest block, I will put up new block, each block will be filled with mortar with one side of each block will include rebar. (like below)

.......▌........▌........▌........▌
▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓
...▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓.▓▓▓▓▓
.......▌........▌........▌........▌

I of course have already read every post on this site and many others. Ive compiled every note I can from companies who do the work and understand this is not for the beginner. What I havent heard is a section by section plan and Id love feedback on it! So here I am. I did place a quick idea of my experience at the end if that helps round out the overall reason I might try this.

Experience:
Around 6 years ago, I started hard core redoing homes. Ive went from 100 year old plaster to the studs. All electric, all plumbing, all drywall, etc... Ive done this now a few times. Permits, etc...

Old 05-22-17, 09:21 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seems posting removes the spaces from my text art work! Here it is with . as spaces.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄...
..█....█....█....█....1 (Outside.is.3.foot.air)
..█....█....█....█....2 (and.5.foot.dirt)
..█....█....█....█....3
..█....█....█....█....4<-.ground.level.outside.
..█....█....█....█....5
..█....█....█....█....6
..█....█....█....█....7
..█....█....█....█....8
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: