Oil Burner Puffback

Old 07-19-04, 12:14 PM
Grizzly
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Oil Burner Puffback

Help need advice on cleaning products that work for a fuel oil puffback... oily soot on everything?

Old 07-19-04, 12:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Any type of degreaser/cleaner will work. Lestoil and the like. Mix it up as strong as they recommend and change the water often. I would not recommend using your vacuum cleaner as soot is very fine and will get through a standard vacuum bag. It will get through the pleated shop vac filters too. Cleaning services use a pre-treated sponge that seems to work well but I have not seen them for sale anywhere.

Ken

Old 07-22-04, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

With Ken here. Have you checked with your insurance company on this. Id call a Cleaning Service They know how. Just a puff back lucky, had a home oil heat ran 2 weeks in winter. Squirrel's built a nest in the flue. Now that is what you call black .

ED

Old 07-22-04, 01:39 PM
I just saw a Mr. Clean treated sponge that is probably similar to what I described. Give it a try.

Ken

Old 09-17-06, 03:39 PM
Oil Heater Puff backs, soot and smoke

Hello,
for this type of Heater puff back/oily smoke, a dry cleaning sponge works best on all surfaces, to prevent smearing. If you have walls and ceilings with a glossy or eggshell finish, a mild degreaser with water solustion should be used, along with many clean white rags.

Furniture fabrics, carpeting, drapery and shears might need to be cleaned with dry cleaning solvent, depends on the severity of the smoke/oil deposits

This type of mishap, is 99% usually covered by an insurance claim.

Last edited by Grady; 09-17-06 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed
Old 09-22-06, 06:19 PM
A
I lived through one of these, and a fire. The cleanup is about the same, except the smell of a fire is far worse. The treated sponges work great, just be sure not to use a fresh surface when they get loaded with soot, or they will smear. Another thing that works great on electronic equipment and such are the microfiber cloths they sell for auto cleaning/detailing. Use them dry, they soak up soot and smoke. For a degreaser, Dawn dish detergent, mixed in a strong solution - maybe a quarter cup or half cup per gallon, works pretty well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: