Peerless Purefire PF-80

Old 07-26-15, 10:05 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Peerless Purefire PF-80

I had the techincian come and replace the control module of my peerless PF-80 gas boiler due to control module burning out recently. After having the module replaced, the display is not showing any info (just to note, the display didn't work either with module that burned out). Per the technician, the boiler should work in default settings and that I would get a quote for a new display. Now here is the issue I see based on how the boiler worked prior to the board being replaced.

When DHW is called for heat, the boiler starts normally as before the board was replaced so there is no issue there. However, when (CH) is inititiated, the boiler starts. Watching the temperature, it reaches to approx 120 degrees then it stays there for several minutes, then it slowly climbs to a higher temperature then stops again. After a few minutes the temperature starts to rise and it goes as high as 190 degrees before the system purges and the temperature lowers to a lower degree. As this is happening, the circulator is running.

Before the board was replaced, the boiler when (CH) would start and the temperature gauge would go a little higher than 170 degrees but not pass 180 degrees. The system would purge and the tempature would go lower and the boiler would repeat the process until the thermostat was satisfied and the boiler would shut down.

I looked at the manual and default temperature is set factory to 180 degrees. Why is it going past 180 when CH? This does not happen when called for DHW. Also why does the temperature slowly climbs, stops, then climb again in CH when this wasn't the case prior to board being replaced?

How do I determine if the boiler is running efficiently? I'm just looking for answers before the company calls me with a quote on the display and the tech comes back out. It cost money everytime I have someone here. I want to make sure this is done right next time.

Thanks.

Old 07-26-15, 12:59 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
My first thought is that the CH pump is not running... or if you are using zone valves, not opening.

What do you mean by "PURGE" in your description?

Old 07-26-15, 01:00 PM
NJT
Do you know if it's piped as "PRIMARY/SECONDARY"?

Can you post some pics?

Old 07-26-15, 08:59 PM
J
Pump is running and valves are opening and heat is going through the baseboard. Nothing on the boiler was changed/removed. Only the control module was replaced. Please disregard the word "purge".

My concern is why the boiler takes it's time reaching 180 degrees. Also, per the manual, the factory default is 180 degrees but it goes beyond that to 190 degrees.

Tech could not go into programming mode due to display not working but said the boiler will run fine with dafaults.

Old 07-27-15, 09:42 AM
J
I'm going to try and explain as best I can what the boiler did before the boiler control module was removed and what is doing now with the new control module.

Prior to having the control board going bad, when the boiler (CH), the circulator, and zone function as it should. The gas combustion would start and the water temperature would start to increase until it reached to about 180 degrees. Then the gas combustion would stop but circulator would continue to stay on unless the thermostat would satisfy and shut down the boiler. At that stage, the water temperature would fall to a lower number. If the thermostat is still calling for heat, the boiler would start again and repeat the whole process. The condensate pump would turn on often to release excess condensation as the boiler heated.

After the control module was replaced, When thermostat calls for heat, the circulator and zone function as it should so this part has not changed. The gas combustion would start and the water temperature would start to increase but stop at around 120 degrees. At this point gas combustion and circulator are still on. Shortly after, the gas combustion stops while circulator is still on. It will stay at this stage for several minutes. However, the temperature at 120 degress does not go lower or higher. After several minutes, the gas combustion kicks in and the temperature starts to go higher but at a slow pace until it reaches 190degrees where the gas combustion stops, circulator still going and temperature only goes down from 190 to about 175 degrees. If the thermostat is still calling for heat, gas combustion will occur again after several minutes. The condensate pump did not turn on to release excess condensation as the boiler heated.

Note: Condensate does work because it discharges when it calls for (DHW) and when the system was tested for (CH) the first time but not at the same rate prior to module replacement.

Last year when I checked the baseboard to see what the temperature was, it measured roughly about 125-135 degrees. This time around, the temperature measured 145-155 dregrees.

Is this normal for the system to run like this? 190 degrees too high? I'm asking because I'm having the tech come out again to replace the display and I want to make sure everthing is working as it should before he leaves. They charge per visit.

Old 07-27-15, 04:31 PM
NJT
Do you know if it's piped as "PRIMARY/SECONDARY"?

Can you post some pics?
Is the outdoor sensor connected? If not, why not?

Old 07-27-15, 04:33 PM
NJT
Is this normal for the system to run like this?
We'll get to that, still in 'fact finding' phase.

Old 07-27-15, 09:10 PM
J
I posted in the forum some months ago and provided pictures. See here: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...ml#post2345323

Yes, there is an outside sensor. technician did not re-wire or replace anything other than the control module.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: