Kenmore electric water heater drain valve

Old 08-27-15, 06:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore electric water heater drain valve

I will need to replace my drain valve on my 1.5 year old water heater. It sits directly on the basment floor. My concern is... if I get a few drips or water leaks into the bottom of the pan when changing this does it evaporate or drain out or do I have any major concerns?

Old 08-27-15, 07:00 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't worry about a few drops. If it turns out to be more than that, a wet vac would solve the problem.

Old 08-27-15, 07:30 AM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
They usually supply a cheapo drain valve on hot water heaters. Best to replace it with a quarter-turn, brass, ball valve. The ones used for washing machine shutoffs are good - they have an angled discharge with garden hose threads. A ball valve will be leak tight and allow full flow when routinely draining sediment out of the tank.

Old 08-27-15, 08:20 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Any way to just add a few bricks under the heater to gain some height?
You'll have about a 50/50 chance of that valve breaking off when you try to remove it.
You do know to change the valve you'll need to shut off the water and gas or power, and compleatly drain the tank.

Old 08-27-15, 12:57 PM
G
Any way to just add a few bricks under the heater to gain some height?
Probably not required - most water heaters sit directly on the basement floor. The only height required is to get a bucket under the drain valve. If the heater were raised up, then the cold inlet and hot supply piping would likely have to be shortened.

Since the heater is only 1.5 years old, it's likely that the original drain valve, possibly plastic, will screw right out without a problem. Loosen it slightly while the tank is full of water to help prevent the tank from turning. Use pipe dope on the female threads of the replacement valve.

Old 08-27-15, 04:06 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Remember what I suggested when you have 50 + gallons of water running all over the floor when that valve breaks off, been there done that.
Also going to need a 3/4" X 3" long nipple and a garden hose adapter to connect to that ball valve.
I've never drained a water heater with a bucket, connecting a garden hose to it is a whole lot faster.
Also need to open up the hot tap or the relief valve so it does not create a negative pressure.

Old 08-27-15, 09:59 PM
J
Well, I got it installed hope I torqued it enough. 25-30ftlbs. I know when I hooked it up those dielectric fittings had to be tightened to like 100ft/lbs to stop the leaking. I little bit of water leaked out when I pulled the plastic valve but hopefully that evaporates/drains out of the internal insulation.

Attached Images  
Old 08-27-15, 11:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Good job_____________________________

Old 08-29-15, 12:31 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Now, remove that 3/4 inch close nipple in the valve outlet and install a 3/4 inch pipe-to-garden hose thread adapter and finish it off with a garden hose cap and gasket.

Old 08-29-15, 07:37 AM
G
Look at that P.O.S. plastic drain valve that came with the water heater. And besides, it leaked! Somebody should ram it up the supplier's a$$.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: