Sandblasting masonary block

Old 11-17-14, 07:39 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sandblasting masonary block

I have just purchased my first home. It was built in 51 and appears to be layer after layer of old, peeling, flaky, crappy paint. My father is in industrial blasting and I would be able to get a mobile blaster to knock away all the old paint and such. Is this a bad idea?

Old 11-18-14, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Block can be sand blasted but as with blasting anything - care must be used! There will also be a fair amount of clean up [sand and debris] when you get done. Have you ever done any sand blasting? will your father be there to help?

Old 11-18-14, 08:22 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
the trick is to keep moving the nozzle + enough air to power a 1/4" venturi nozzle + your choice of media ( sand, walnut shells, black beauty, etc - none of which will be recoverable ),,, since brick isn't generally uniform in hardness, you'll wind up w/pitted brick,,, its not often recommended,,, in short, its a mess

Old 11-19-14, 08:27 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes. He would be there to help. It would be a industrial setup so media and power will not be an issue. I guess to sum it up, my question really is, is this going to hurt the block? I will be sealing, then painting.

Old 11-19-14, 08:36 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A pressure washer with a Turbo nozzle would do the same thing and there would be no clean up.
All your trying to do is get off the loose paint, there's no need to get it all off. If it's still stuck on, leave it.

Old 11-19-14, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Both a pressure washer with turbo nozzle and a blaster can cause damage to the block - that is why care must be used to not over do it!! Either method will leave debris to clean up when you are done. With a PWer it will just be paint chips to rake up but with a blaster you'll also have to remove some of the sand [or whatever media is used] although the paint chips will likely be smaller.

Old 11-20-14, 02:14 AM
S
guys, i've actually done this work - hands-on,,, held the nozzle, work'd the pot controls, wore the air-fed helmet, shook the **** out of my clothes @ nite, etc,,, the op doesn't say whether the bldg's faced w/brick OR block - just that its got ' layer after layer of old, peeling, flaky, crappy paint ',,, since the pop-in-law's got media & equip, they'll soon figure out what works.

i'm doubtful any p/w equip's a satisfactory idea UNLESS you get up to the 10K psi range but then you'll likely blow out mortar right now, i think the best method's glass beads/wtr mist in front of a 375cfm a/c but dry ice could also be a better choice,,, nobody knows til the media hits the surface - kind of like a battle plan, huh ?

what's he got for pots - clemco, schmidt, reumlin, pangborn ? IF i were younger, i'd be looking @ this system - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCehkkTTeMk

Old 11-20-14, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've also done a good bit of sandblasting including blasting of concrete/cinder blocks although it has been about 40 yrs since I worked for a sandblasting outfit. Going by the title of this thread I assume the OP is wanting to sandblast block. Since his father does it for a living, he should be able to direct him with the proper use and choice of blasting material.

Old 11-21-14, 02:15 PM
S
totally agree, mark,,, however, if the guy's a commercial bdge painter, he may not have had to s/d brick/block,,, steel's lotz different

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: