Masonry exterior door mouldings

Old 11-17-15, 06:53 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Masonry exterior door mouldings

This property was built in 1953 and all the doors and windows have this porous masonry mouldings around them.

I have no idea what material they are made of. I don't think it's concrete there doesn't seem to have any aggregate in it. It could be some variation of plaster of paris, or stiucco or ?

I showed the pictures to a few local plaster or stucco contractors and they didn't know. One of them told me it's probably made of plastic and they textured it to look solid. Another one told me these are probably fabricated like the wood trims and baseboards and they just cut them to size on site...

Well I hired a contractor to do some exterior alterations and his workers broke the door landing slab (they thought it was to be demoed) and at the same time they also broke these door trims.

As you can see, they are not plastic, and since there is a piece of rebar embedded inside, I don't think these are prefabricated mouldings.

I am thinking these were formed on site.

Any idea how I might be able to repair/redo these?

Old 11-18-15, 03:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Back in the 70's and 80's I painted a lot of new construction houses in central fla and while cement door/window casing was rare, I painted a lot of houses where they used cement shutters and decorative window seals. They were manufactured offsite and brought out to the job. If I remember correctly they used both mechanical and adhesive fasteners.

I doubt you'd be able to find an exact replacement but I wouldn't think it would be too hard to make a form and then make a stucco/mortar type patch ..... but then I'm a painter, not a mason

Old 11-18-15, 04:27 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Google "cast stone window and door trim" lots of sites come up.
Faux limestone window and door trim as worked as key words.
Who's idea was it to pore that concrete in direct contact with the side of the house and even with the threshold?
That's a big design flaw.

Old 11-18-15, 05:13 PM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The landing used to be 6" lower.

The contractor was not there when his workers did the demo. They demoed the concrete landing (and these mouldings) when it's clear in the contract and drawings that these are "TO REMAIN".

The contractor fixed it by putting up a new landing...even with the finished floor level to the laundry rooms. So now if I even pressure wash or hose down the landing the laundry room floor will be wet unless I build it up which I don't want to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: