Remove Belgian blocks on driveway curb

Old 06-18-16, 11:25 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove Belgian blocks on driveway curb

What are hand tools I need to remove them? the curved curb on right has to get rid. It's curve cuz the big tree is in the way. It's curve makes driving difficult and tires always hit the curb. The left curb is straight.

I consider those 5 blocks has to get rid of. The height 5 inch..too high. I may put pavers later. 2 inch or less in height, the lower the better.

My tools: electric 7 1/4 circular saw. Hammer. I prefer not to use the saw.
Unless you say I have to use it.

My experience is minimal. Your suggestion of hand tools will be helpful.

Alan

Old 06-18-16, 11:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Can you post a pic or two so we can better understand what needs to be done - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-18-16, 12:36 PM
A

i am having hard time returning reply. I got access denied on diy link over an hour
I had to reset password.

Hope you are able to get the picture.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-16, 12:42 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd take a sledge hammer to them and then go back with a small sledge and chisel to clean it up ..... or will they pull up out of the ground ?

Old 06-18-16, 12:56 PM
A
Not really necessary to pull them out of ground now. Main concern is to break them down to ground level. I don't know what sledge hammer and small sledge looks like.

I will look for these image pictures.

Old 06-18-16, 01:02 PM
A
Now I know. The images at Home Depot shows both. It has more weight than a regular hammer.

Then I can get a pair of googles for eye protection.
I appreciate your time in giving needed information.

Old 06-18-16, 01:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you don't appear to own a sledge hammer I'd suggest just buying the small one [4-5 lb] and a mason's chisel. Using a big sledge hammer for the initial hits makes the job quicker but the small sledge should work ok. Neighbors/friends might have one you can borrow.

Old 06-18-16, 02:26 PM
A

I will buy one. Small. One more question. After removing those Belgians 5 or 6. How can I make near diagonal cut on one Belgian block to match lower height of pavers that I may just put on top of the ground level where the Belgians are removed? can I do it without electric circular saw? It may be better with hand tool. Safety' sake.

Old 06-18-16, 03:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You'd probably have to remove some of the pavers in order to make a clean cut that is even with pavers. A circular saw with a masonry blade will do the job although it is quite dusty. The way a skil saw is build you can only get within 1.5" of the bottom, removing pavers should give the extra room needed. You can chip away at it with a chisel and small sledge hammer but I'm not sure you could get it all that smooth/even. You could rent a concrete saw [gas powered] and maybe cut close without removing any pavers but if you've never used one ......

Old 06-20-16, 01:49 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not quite sure why you're bothering trying to break those pavers. You should be able to pull them out quite easily using a pickax or possibly just a shovel. Take out one more than you want and then put the sloped one that's in the beginning of your existing area at the beginning of the new area. Certainly a lot easier than trying to do what you are talking about doing.

Old 06-20-16, 05:56 PM
A
Why pavers? I am trying to remove Belgian blocks first on the curb and cut/chisel to ground level.
Belgian blocks are different from pavers. Pavers are the driveway. I am saying about the curb cemented with Belgian blocks that are in the way of my rear right wheel.

Please explain what you really want to say. I want to understand you.

I want to add pavers later as a replacement for the curb where the Belgians were. But the trouble is the height of curb pavers is lots lower than the rest of Belgians still there as a curb. Possible solution is to dig out one Belgian and chisel it to near diagonal then put it back and looks better.

I don't want to dig pavers then no driveway.
By now I think I have solution with your help and others like pick ax and so forth

Last edited by Alan Bloom; 06-20-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
They're sitting up pretty high. I doubt there is much holding them in place. A few whacks with a sledge hammer and they'll come out.... probably in one piece.

Name:  belgium.jpg
Views: 2221
Size:  23.1 KB

Old 06-21-16, 05:32 AM
A
Correct! They are too high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: