Housewrap Problem

Old 06-25-17, 09:59 AM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Housewrap Problem

After nearly a year a big box store is replacing a sliding patio door it sold and installed, but I am really concerned that it is destroying the wall. (The guy doing the work is supposed to be the best they have and he didn't want to do the job, because he doesn't know how, but the box store said it didn't have a stucco guy.)

Anyway, my major concern is that when doing the chip out he destroyed the paper wrap and the new paper isn't slid under where the old paper remains intact.

The guy doesn't think it will pass inspection, but hopes the inspector will tell him to just seal it with a bunch of goop.

The picture attached shows just one of several areas where the new wrap isn't anywhere near to sliding beneath the existing good wrap.

What do you think? Is this covered by any code or industry standard?

I haven't used the name of the big box store since I don't know if your rules permit, but it isn't Lowes.

I can't attach a picture because the manager says it exceeds the forum quota.

Per Shadeladie's suggestion, this link should take you to the pictures.

Last edited by klawman213; 06-25-17 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Add Link to Photo Hosting Site
Old 06-25-17, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Sorry, the pic uploading is not working and should be fixed next week. In the meantime, you can upload it to a pic hosting site and post the link here, if you like.

Old 06-25-17, 10:29 AM
K
Link to Photos

Thanks, Shadeladie. I amended the original post to add a link to some pictures.

Old 06-25-17, 11:19 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Klawman,
I never run into stucco here in my NE area so did some searching. I didn't find a code or specific video for you but some reading did indicate that good flashing practices are always applied. Reference to making sure the new flashing is tucked under the existing and well sealed to it seems like good advice and matches what you are concerned about. Here's is one video, it isn't the greatest but does discuss getting the flashing sealed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egSNiX7jZKY

I suspect some more searching on replacing windows or doors in stucco would eventually find a good reference.

Let's see if some of the west coast pros have more info.

Bud

Old 06-25-17, 11:43 AM
K
Thanks Bud9051. The nearest I can fine in the CA Residential Code is R703.2, requiring 6 inch lap of joints in an approved water resistive barrier, but the same section excepts a water resistive barrier when the paper backing is an approved water-resistive barrier. Gobbly gook to me, but I think the intent is that asphalt felt is not needed with approved paper backing, but you still need the 6 inch lap at joints. Here, there not only is no lap, but the new paper falls short of reaching the old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: