Delinquent Registration

Old 03-09-17, 07:22 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Delinquent Registration

My son wants to sell his car but it's delinquent. Is this something that has to be taken care of before selling or can you compensate the buyer to take care of it?

Old 03-09-17, 07:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I wouldn't think you'd need a current tag in order to sell but not being able to test drive the vehicle could be an issue. Here in tenn if you retag an expired registration they will pre date the tag back to when it expired unless you sign an affidavit stating it's not been driven since the tag expired.

Old 03-09-17, 08:21 AM
S
Received 32 Upvotes on 23 Posts
First, let me say that my interpretation of the CA DMV's site: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/vr_info means that your son may actually be incurring delinquent tag penalties for which DMV will send a bill. Might be worth either flat-out cancelling the registration, or renewing it in the mean time.

Of course, make sure that if you cancel the tags and return them, you're in compliance with other laws. Unregistered vehicles on the streets here are "abandoned" and can be ticketed and towed. And if you put one without tags in your driveway, some HOAs may say you're hoarding "junk vehicles."

Having said that... I'm not in California, but I have personally purchased a car with an expired registration. Like Mark said, driving it with dead tags is at your own risk, but it didn't effect the transfer of the title at all.

Old 03-09-17, 10:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to go in and pay the back fees before selling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: