Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Need to build ladder for loft bed, looking for alternatives...

Old 05-10-08, 02:50 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello there. I'm building a loft bed and will need to build a ladder. However, I would much prefer a stair-like alternative. So I thought y'all may have a thrifty solution/suggestion. I was thinking of using recovered materials to build it- something like stacking boxes but what boxes? Ah! Help.... and thanks!

Old 05-10-08, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Most loft situations don't allow enough space for a full staircase situation. Your rise/run must be in the neighborhood of 18 united inches, so if you have a 7" riser, your tread would be 11". The longer your tread, the shorter the riser, etc. A tilted ladder would be the best bet, but only if kids are using it. Adults will tire of that quickly. If the height of the bed is 8', then your run will be 143 inches, so see if you have that much space to put in a staircase.

Old 05-10-08, 09:43 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The best loft-ladder type that I've built was using two 2x8 stringers and premade 5/4x14 bullnosed stair treads you can get at Lowe's/HomeDepot. I then used Kreg pocket-screws to fasten it all together. I'd say I have about $65 in material and 1:30 hours labour.

I have a picture if it helps.

Last edited by ScrewLoose; 05-10-08 at 09:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-11-08, 04:37 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I built a light weight ladder for a childrens play loft. 1" x 4" Oak and used 1 3/4" Pine Closet Rail for the treads. I also build a wall bracket out of Cherry to hang the ladder up when not in use and so it would not take so much space out of the room at all times. The ladder and bracket were painted white to match the decor of the room. Ladder was 14" x 8 ft. I also made a slotted bracket for the top of the ladder to fit into when in use to prevent the top from sliding left or right as the kids climbed it. It was light enough for a 10 yrs old girl to set up and take down. The picture above using 2x8 and 5/4 board is a strong but heavy alternative.

If you want to be different, why not use Rock Climbing Handles randomly attached to the wall? A climbing wall instead of stairs or a ladder would not take up any space, and give the room a fun feeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: