Remove Built in bookshelves/bookcases

Old 07-03-13, 05:53 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remove Built in bookshelves/bookcases

I'm currently renovating a 1970s nightmare wall... There was an brick fireplace and wood paneling with built in bookcases. I'm at the point where im working on taking down the bookcases. The trim has been removed around the bookcases and am now literally stuck. There is Sheetrock all around the bookcases and I have been trying to pry out the shelves from the sides without much give. It's attached from the sides and back with nails to studs. I need advice on how to remove them without breaking open the wall and not needing to buy tools as the budget is very limited. I've attached pictures for clarification. **Hope this is in the right thread also.

Attached Images    
Old 07-03-13, 06:38 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Removing Book Shelves

If the shelves were built with nails, then you have to remove the nails. Cut the nails with a Sawzall or pry them out with a cats paw.

Old 07-03-13, 10:12 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smash the shelves out with a hammer or sledge hammer. Then use a pry bar to try and pry the bottom up and the top down. Sawzall route would certainly be the easiest.

Old 07-03-13, 10:46 AM
O
Bookcases

I've tried slamming it to smithereens with a sledgehammer and pry bar. Not sure what type of wood they're made if, but they are not giving way at all. I'm thinking to try a sawzall. Can I cut through the wood with a sawzall if I can't get into the space between the wall and bookcase to saw the nails?

Old 07-03-13, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I couldn't tell for sure but it looks like the shelves are set in a dado/groove which makes them stronger and harder to break. Cutting the shelf anywhere with the sawsall should aid in removing them. Even a skil saw or jig saw might cut enough to make it easier to remove the shelves.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 07-03-13, 02:58 PM
O
Yes they are set in grooves. I'm hoping to cut them either by the nails or along the shelves/ sides. Will reply back once they're out! Thank you for the replies all.

Old 07-03-13, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think this was a shop built unit (and very well, indeed), and slid in place prior to sheetrocking. It is probably only fastened on the sides, so a recip 12" blade slipped between the board and the stud should cut the nails and allow you to pull it out. What do you plan on doing with the hole once the bookcase is out? If you plan on sheetrocking it, you will need to frame it in on all 4 sides and put short studs in to compliment the ones already in the wall.

Old 07-03-13, 08:59 PM
O
Demo

I think you're right on them being shop built. I took a break from all the demo today and to find a solution to the bookcase removal. Once I continue work, I do plan to close up the holes left from the bookcases. Although another thought was that I could also open the entire wall (right now the center is recessed about a foot or so). The original layout if the living room seems to be what is seen in the picture, with the center recessed.

I also am wondering if I can place Sheetrock over the existing drywall or if its better to remove it and place new drywall? I'm not planning to do that part myself since its beyond my abilities, but will take any advice so I can make the right decision.

I also added a few more pictures from what the original wall looked like. I do need to have a beam added in to the hole in the wall. The back wall if the fireplace was in between the wall studs. One beam was cut to make room for the bricks

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-13, 09:06 PM
O
Pictures

Added pictures. You can see back of fireplace in the wall!

Attached Images   
Old 07-04-13, 03:35 AM
Since you have removed the brick and plan on removing the bookcases, you can possibly gain that 1' of room space. I do this stuff every day, so if it were me, I would remove all the sheetrock on that wall. If you can gain the space, you have a blessing. If it turns out you can't due to framing restrictions, etc, then you can install new sheetrock across the entire face of the wall and have a smooth working surface. One "gotcha" with initial DIY projects is people are afraid to tear out more than they see needs to be torn out. Most of the time, the opposite makes the job so much easier.

Example: bathroom remodels.....tear it all out back to the studs and start from the beginning. Don't try to "make do" with what is there. Similar to what you have. Let us know if we can help further, and post pictures as you go. Sounds like an interesting project.

Old 07-13-13, 11:41 AM
O
Update on Living ROom project

Hi all...

Thank you for the input on the wall, bookcases, etc. I finally went to home depot with your suggestions looking for wire cutters or sawzall. I found a wire cutter tool where I was able to cut the nails (luckily they were towards the front of the bookcases and on the sides only) with the tool.

I am in the final stretch of this project, having hired someone to help with the sheetrock and adding in beams where tey were missing. Essentially, I left the wall as is in the pictures with the center part recessed. It would have needed more framing (beams) added to open the entire wall and it would have been off center where the door is due to that part being the hallway wall (there isn't any space...just one wall, rather than two).

Here are some pictures of the final stages...

Attached Images  
Old 07-13-13, 01:23 PM
That looks just fine. Do you plan on using it as a TV alcove? I note the cable and power. I think if you ever did want to place shelving there, you could do it with little problem.

Old 07-14-13, 04:51 AM
O
95% completed

The living room looks great. It is almost finished. Yes, I do plan to hang the tv in the recessed part. And I could also install shelving (good idea btw!). I'm not sure what will go beneath the tv, but am considering a few options. That will have to wait for the time being. A few before n after shots and I'm very pleased with the results.

The pictures below show the drop ceiling, which was removed and the ceiling was patched. Also, the one wall has paneling with wallpaper over. It was decided to leave it as is, and the painter was able to skim coat it with spackle and smooth out the wall. It's amazing as I can hardly tell there's wallpaper beneath the paint now.

Off to enjoy the new, clean and modern living room.

Attached Images    
Old 07-14-13, 04:54 AM
O
Additional photo

Photo of recessed wall painted and all finished.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-13, 05:33 AM
Without a doubt, a good job you can be proud of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: