Replace cabinet doors

Old 07-23-17, 07:25 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
Replace cabinet doors

My daughter wants her kitchen cabinet doors replaced in her older mobile home... by me, for little or no cost. Until I find someone giving away a bunch of decent cabinets, I was wondering about using mdf and cutting out door fronts and painting them, since she seems to want to keep the cabinet framing and paint it. Is off-the-shelf mdf ok to use for this purpose?
Trying to install new cabinets would probably entail tearing out the entire kitchen cabinet section... like about every project that you do in an older mobile home.
Any other ideas for cheap custom-size doors?

Old 07-23-17, 07:51 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
by me, for little or no cost.
Smart girl, did you teach her that? If the cabinets are stained wood, I would sand & re-stain them.

Old 07-23-17, 09:07 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
ha, older mobile home... beat-up molded frame (wood?) with a 1/4" stapled-in hardboard panel. Really don't want to strip/paint it, it would take some time cleaning up the molding.

Old 07-23-17, 10:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MDF is fine for making doors. It is the base material used for RTF doors (rigid thermo foil).
The MDF is stable and machines well. 3/4" MDF is heavy.

Here's a link to a custom door site:
https://www.cabinetdoorsdepot.com/rt...ew&act=&id=393

I did a quick check and if she wants to buy doors, a raw MDF square panel door, 17 x 30, is about $40.00.

Old 07-23-17, 11:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Probably the biggest issue with your plan is the cabinet fronts. Often they are made out of particle board .... which might make it difficult to hang new doors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: