removing mould stains from a doona

Old 06-07-07, 10:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question removing mould stains from a doona

My doona has been in storage over summer and now it has black mould spots all over it. I've put it through the washing machine twice, once with top quality laundry powder and then with napisan. I've also sun dried it each time and put it through the clothes drier. I'm hoping from all this punishment the mould is dead, but the black spots are still there so I'd love any tips from others about how to remove these mould spots.

Old 06-08-07, 05:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
What's a doona?

If it's safe to do so, bleach kills mold, so washing in bleach would be the most effective remedy. Don't be surprised if the staining is permanent, however.

Old 06-08-07, 05:29 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Mold and mildew stains are usually impossible to remove from fabric. The stains on your quilt or comforter are likely permanent. At best you can expect to lighten the stains. One option is to slip the comforter inside a duvet to hide the stains.

Old 06-10-07, 12:20 AM
M
Smile Doona explanation

Sorry, doona must be an Australian word. I'm not sure what you call them in America but it goes on your bed and is basically cotton fabric filled with duck or goose feathers and/or down that you put inside another material cover to match your bed linen. Thanks for the tip re washing in bleach. I'll try it.

Old 06-10-07, 08:02 PM
most likely the mold has infested the interior of the material...i would toss it for health reasons, just a side note there are serveral levels of bleach.....regular household bleach, chlorine bleach and germacidal bleach....im thinking only the germacidal bleach really kills bleach

Old 06-13-07, 03:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Napisan is a sanitizer product used for washing 'nappie's (diapers). It has likely killed the mold and mildew in the comforter. The stains, however, remain and are likely permanent. Seems a pity to have to toss out a feather-filled comforter because of stains. A duvet cover is a practical solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: