Old 12-04-16, 12:07 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moveable Mirror Stand

Name:  Photo.jpg
Views: 7325
Size:  24.5 KB
Background info: I'm in a rental and it's quite a small space so I'm trying to maximize space as much as possible. I have a walk-in closet that I'm using for storage but the closet doesn't have a door. I also have a large mirror that would be perfect if I could somehow use it to cover the walk-in closet (the mirror doesn't fit anywhere else in the apartment and I'd like to be able to use it.)

However, it's a very heavy mirror (it's the IKEA hovet mirror.) It's currently standing in front of the closet but every time I need to get into the closet, it's very heavy to move. If I could somehow create a stand for this mirror and put it on casters, then I could hopefully wheel it out of the way when I need in the closet. I don't really know how to start. Any suggestions?

Attachment 73954

Old 12-04-16, 12:24 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is a big mirror!

I'm going to guess that it was never intended for something that large to be movable.

The problem is that to make something that is sturdy enough to mount that too it's going to have a large base which will create another issue, a trip hazard.

My first thought was to try and mount it to the frame around the door so it could swing open, something like that would still require something to mount the mirror too, almost like a door!

Old 12-21-16, 07:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How much work can you do in that rental?

Would probably have to be more intensive than you think if it's as heavy as you say. You could try going for a lighter mirror for this one and placing the heavy one horizontally by your bed?

Old 12-21-16, 07:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Any kind of rolling stand for the mirror will have a larger foot print than the mirror for stability so you'll have to plan on loosing the use of that floor space and the floor space where you will roll the mirror. What tools and skills do you have? I would build a frame out of steel or aluminum but you may find wood easier to work with. How much is your budget for the project?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: