Need alternative to Verizon Landline

Old 10-16-14, 08:18 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need alternative to Verizon Landline

We have a fixer-upper in South Jersey and we want to install an alarm in it, since we will not be moving until at least Spring. To do that, we need a landline service, and Verizon is giving me a hard time, trying to sign me up for at least a $59.99 plan, and encouraging me to sign up for a bundle.

I know a few years ago there were other companies that provided landline service as alternatives to Verizon. Are they all gone? I don't see anything other than VOIP or cellular.

Thanks!

Old 10-16-14, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Cheapest verizon plan I know, I had it, was 6.95 line charge and 12 dollar low use calling only charge. No long distance. With taxes and what not I was paying 22 bucks...

You can get what you want. I cant see how they are giving you a hard time..

Unlimited Calling - Unlimited Long Distance | Verizon

Old 10-16-14, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
That's it..... Verizon was and is your only landline service provider. You always needed Verizon's wiring but you could choose different service providers.

So in addition you have cable with some type of of VOiP, cellular or AES intellilink. The AES system would be used by alarm companies in your area.

Old 10-16-14, 07:15 PM
C
Lawrosa,

I was in an online chat with a Verizon rep for 45 minutes. For the first 37 minutes, he was telling me that I had to sign up for the $59.99 plan. Then, after I told him that I refused to pay that and would consider alternatives, he suddenly gave me another link to click on which let me see that there was a $10/mo plan where I would pay just for the minutes used, but due to a "glitch in the system" it wouldn't let me sign up for it online unless I went with a FIOS TV or Internet plan also.

That was when I decided to post the message. Since then, my wife did it the "old fashioned way" and called. Apparently, the plan they offered is $15/mo, and she decided to take it.

I just remember other companies sprouting up (Cavalier comes to mind) that sprouted up, using Verizon's lines to carry their service, but I don't hear about them anymore.

Old 10-16-14, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Verizon no longer plays well with others. Lean times.

Most of the companies are now involved with the VOiP services.

Old 10-24-14, 07:53 AM
C
Just an update for you guys...

So Verizon sent an email saying I needed to confirm my appointment for Wednesday Oct 23 between 1-5pm. I did.

They also called my cell several times while I was at work just to confirm the appointment. I finally called them back and told them yes, we're confirming the appointment.

They never showed.

I called Cust Serv at 4:55. The whole phone call took 48 minutes long while the rep "reached out to the appropriate party" (I found that very punny).

While checking back with us several times, we learned first that a) We never confirmed the appointment (told her that's a lie, and she put us back on hold); and then b) The tech called in the morning and we didn't answer the phone -- another lie. Even if true, you call someone once and if they don't answer, you cancel the whole thing?

We told her that we drove nearly three hours to get to this appointment, and she was very apologetic. I asked her why we even need to be here, and can't he just come out on his own? She said that since we were still on copper lines, we needed to be upgraded to fiber optic, which involves getting a new box inside. I told her we only want a simple phone line, why do we need to get fiber optic? She said it was policy that all new installs require that upgrade.

This whole thing is becoming a nightmare. One can't even get simple phone service anymore?!? First the issue trying to order it online, and now this. My wife asked if there's a way we can get Vonage in there, but I explained to her that we need to get internet service first (again, either Verizon or Comast) and THEN Vonage, so now we're looking at roughly $85/month + alarm costs, which brings it to roughly $110/month and we're not even living there!

Old 10-24-14, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Straight talk has the best home phone IMO.. Dont know if it will work with an alarm though...

15 bucks a month.......unlimited.......... works off cell towers..

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/port...word={keyword}

Old 10-24-14, 09:07 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Straight talk WILL work with an autodialer with voice alarm. A more conventional alarm might not work.

IF you are planning on having an alarm system after you move in I would suggest adding that alarm now and using a cellular link. There ARE monitoring companies with reasonable rates (AlarmNet come to mind) and this would be the easiest and best solution in the long run. Using a land-line for alarm monitoring is a weak link as any miscreant can cut the land-line leaving you without any monitoring service.

Old 10-24-14, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Good idea Furd

There's no telling about those miscreants.

Old 10-24-14, 09:52 PM
C
Using a land-line for alarm monitoring is a weak link as any miscreant can cut the land-line leaving you without any monitoring service.
Wouldn't cutting of the phone line trigger the alarm and raise a red flag with the monitoring company anyway?

Old 10-24-14, 09:55 PM
F
Nope, the alarm center does NOT monitor the phone line but depending on the specific alarm system it may periodically call the alarm center to prove it is working. A non-working system would only trigger a "trouble" code and it could be quite some time (days to weeks) before anyone actually investigated the trouble alarm.

Old 10-25-14, 03:52 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Furd,

Your comment about not being able to get simple land line is like asking GM or Ford to build a chariot for your next car. It's not that it can't be done, but today's systems and technology has no use for a chariot.

The first moon landings used computer power equal to that of a Commodore 64 machine. And it worked. But does it make any sense to continue to use that tech today?

Drink much, laugh hard and enjoy life.

Old 10-25-14, 10:47 AM
F
Furd,

Your comment about not being able to get simple land line is like asking GM or Ford to build a chariot for your next car.
Huh? Where did I state anything about not being able to get "a simple land line"? What I DID state is that for best security a land-line is inferior to a cellular link to the alarm monitoring station.

More and more people are foregoing land-lines because they can get a better total communications deal with a comprehensive cellular plan or by using a VoIP solution. The land-line IS old technology and the cost to maintain it is one of the factors for high land-line costs. For me, a land-line would cost at least $35 a month, maybe more, and it would give me nothing that I can't get with a VoIP through my Internet connection at a fixed cost of $6.99 a month plus outgoing usage fees of less than two cents a minute along with incoming calls being free. Cellular alarm links can be had for about $20 a month last I checked. Straight Talk and their competitors are also less expensive than traditional land-line service. Honestly, in my opinion the ONLY reason to go with a traditional land-line is if there are no alternatives available.

Old 10-28-14, 12:47 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Alarm

Have a wireless module added to your alarm system. No land line required.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: