Destination folder access denied

Old 11-23-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Destination folder access denied

I downloaded four MPEG-4 files and put them in a folder called new folder 1. I was able to delete three of the files but the fourth one I cannot.

When I try to delete the file..... I get "you need to confirm this operation" and since I'm a user it asks for the admin password which I enter and then it repeats the same question.

I signed in as admin, it says needs confirmation, I click on ok and it still won't let me delete it.

I even copied it to the admin desktop..... can't delete that either.

Any thoughts.

Name:  confirm.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 11-23-15, 10:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker

Try unlocker. It works most of the time. It's available from other sites but that's the original.

Old 11-24-15, 09:24 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
PJ-

I have W7, but had Vista a while back and there was some screwy stuff with Searches and file handling if I remember correctly. Might be a file ownership problem (but why 1 out 4? But Vista was nasty with bugs IMHO).

I think you can change the ownership of the Folder and contained file to be the Administrator, and then be able to change any permissions necessary. If you log in as the Administrator Windows allows you to change ownership of the File and folder and then you should be able to delete it.

Right click Folder->Properties->Security Tab-> Advanced Button->Owner Tab->

and look at “Change Owner To:

If Administrator is not in the list then-> Edit Button

You need to get the Administrator in the list of potential owners so you can choose it to be the new owner. The Edit Button allows you to add to the list of owners to choose from.

Edit Button->Owner dialogue box pops up with “Other Users and Groups Button” .

If needed you click “Other Users and Groups Button” to the go into the menus to select from the list of potential users and groups in the system to put in the list. You can also check the box “Replace owner on subcontainers and objects” when you are done changing the owner.

Old 11-24-15, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
My bad.... I typed a reply and didn't post it.

Thanks for the help. The link you left didn't seem to work right and when I looked a little further I got an unsafe warning screen.

I used the unblocker from Filehippo. When I used the program it said that the file wasn't locked but maybe it could help. If gives you a dropdown box with delete as a choice. That did it.

zoesdad.... I played with file permissions for over an hour. I changed ownership several times. No one was able to delete it.

Old 11-25-15, 02:14 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I used the unblocker from Filehippo
Unblocker or unlocker? I like to download from the original source.

Old 11-25-15, 06:54 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I played with file permissions for over an hour. I changed ownership several times. No one was able to delete it.
Wow! What else are you supposed to do? Glad you got it.

Old 11-26-15, 09:36 AM
T
Received 198 Upvotes on 174 Posts
Sometimes you can go to the DOS box and do things you can't do from the desktop.

Old 11-26-15, 09:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Sometimes you can go to the DOS box and do things you can't do from the desktop.
To add to that, Unix & Linux have commands that aren't available in a Windows command prompt.

Old 11-26-15, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
The was supposed to be "unlocker" from Filehippo. I'm always leery of downloading strange programs so I read the reviews on it first. The program was straightforward. They have certain things you need to OPT out of. I downloaded, scanned it, and then loaded it. Small program... worked well.

I've never had a file behave like that. The first thing I had done was to scan it to see if it contained a virus. Usually the admin has access to have everything but in this case did not.

Thanks for all the additional info... I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Old 11-26-15, 01:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I've used unlocker for many years. I'm glad that it worked for you. Always try to download from the original source. That's why I posted the site.

Old 11-26-15, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
The link you left comes up as invalid.

Old 11-26-15, 03:48 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Télécharger Unlocker gratuit | Clubic

The above site has the program with the creator's name. When I clicked on his name, it took me to:

UNLOCKER 1.9.2 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB

Apparently, downloading from filehippo.com is safe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: