Remote Access

Old 02-23-17, 07:43 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Remote Access

For years, I've used GoToMyPC to access my work computer from my laptop when I'm home or out-of-town.

Corporate decided let the subscription run out because "All new computers have remote access built into Windows". That's true - IF your laptop O/S is a "Pro" version, and not "Home".

Guess which version I have?

Is there a free program or app which would allow me access to my Win7Pro work computer. Having the cheap b*st*rds at the home office simply re-up the paid subscription is not an option.

Old 02-23-17, 08:14 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I Googled "windows 7 remote access application" and came up with a bunch of options. Included in those options was "16 Free Remote Access Software Tools".
https://www.lifewire.com/free-remote...-tools-2625161

Maybe this will help. Good luck.

Old 02-23-17, 09:50 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
VNC is a popular protocol (there are a number of free and paid apps that run it). I haven't used it, so I can't recommend one or another.

I have used Chrome Remote Desktop which runs as an extension on your Chrome web browser. It's free and very simple to use.

TeamViewer is also a popular solution. It's typically used for commercial/business use, but is free for personal use.

Whichever you use, be sure to use a strong password to greatly reduce the chance of someone being able to remotely access your computer!

Old 02-23-17, 04:59 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Um, Win7 Home should have "remote desktop client" built in;
and Win7 Pro should have "remote desktop server" built in.

Now, you may have to dig to find it and enable it, but it should be there.

Old 02-24-17, 07:30 AM
L
Received 3 Upvotes on 1 Post
Windows "___" Home does have Remote Desktop Client built in, but it won't let me get to the office computer unless I upgrade to Pro.

TeamViewer has the same restrictions.

And I'm being told that a simple "Upgrade" won't work - I'd have to remove 10 Home and install 10 Pro.

Old 02-24-17, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Sounds like you need to tell corporate that it's not free unless it's for personal use only, so won't work with work related access. I doubt there's anything free for work or business. The free stuff only works on computers connected to the same network, AFAIK (meaning within a house).

Old 02-24-17, 08:19 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
File sharing covers LANs. You just map the drives & give permissions. Software is needed for access over the net. I haven't looked at GoToMyPC or LogMeIn lately but those were 2 of the choices. VNC is popular now but make sure that it's password protected properly. I saw a VNC server that was wide opened. The owner had every password for each of his accounts listed including his Social Security account & Western Union. Anyone could have transferred money anywhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: