Windows 10: any caution or regrets?

Old 03-25-17, 08:44 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Windows 10: any caution or regrets?

Well I am about to download windows ten after trying it a bit, seems very app orientated? Otherwise seems to have a lot of good features.
I read you can still get it free on the microsoft site.
If you just say you use assistive technologies.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsof...tive-features/
Any pros or cons would be appreciated!
thanks

Old 03-25-17, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I have it on 3 computers so I'm getting used to it. You DO have to get used to it since a lot of things are different than previous versions. There are still icons on your desktop and the task manager at the bottom, so at first glance it appears the same.
When you hover over the "start" button, there will be a long list of programs that are on your computer on the left, then there are the app boxes to the right. You can add programs to the apps that you use the most. Therefore, you basically have 3 ways to get to your programs/apps.
You'll have to add things like "control panel", "run", "settings", etc., that you were used to, to the app part.
Things like "weather", news", "stocks", etc. will be in the apps automatically. That's new.
Some people hate it, but I think it's OK, IMO.
You can undo it if you don't like it tho.

Old 03-25-17, 09:18 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
In 2016 I bought a 64 Bit Desktop with Windows 7 installed and eligible for a Free Windows 10, and I didn't bother learning Windows 7 . . . . just went on and installed the Free Windows 10.

I'm not an impatient guy, but I tend to wait to learn about these operating systems until it's necessary, and I can see that almost a year has gone by since that Widows 10 Operating System landed here. I'm much more inclined to use an XP Machine that is always ready to go . . . . I didn't know how much I liked that XP until they started taking it away April, 2014.

I suspect I'll always gravitate to using the XP until they completely ruin its functionality . . . . then I'll have to learn to be comfortable with Windows 10. I have been successful finding new Drivers for most of my peripherals. I don't know if that is because of the new machine being Windows 10 OR because it's a 64 Bit Machine . . . . it's not as bad as anticipated when some techinical (?) people said that I'd need all new Printers, Scanners, Monitors and Cameras, NOT TRUE !

Sorry I can't be of more help !

Old 03-25-17, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I personally don't like it. Auto updates that you can't control they just come. Still can't find things in control panel when you can find it. Liked XP much better.

Old 03-25-17, 09:38 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
I've upgraded, eh, five computers, all old hardware XP or Vista to varying combinations of Windows 10 (home/pro/32/64 bit)

Main thing I've found is that "not supported" is too conservative, e.g. it means "not tried".

For example the windows as an update said Windows 10 wouldn't work on a Dell 390,
because of the nVidia graphics card. Forced the install, and worked ok on default video driver.
Found the Windows 7 graphics card drivers, and it works perfectly.
Similar for an old ATI Radeon card in another computer, "not supported", bit of searching
and it's running 3 screens just fine.

It runs nicely on old hardware, (XP, 512 megs) as long as you add ram.
Running the installation takes hours, so be patient.
I found that installing from DVD was iffy, usb drive worked every time.

-post script-
Have to agree about 64 bit drivers, if you can install a 64 bit version of windows,
the selection of drivers and compatibility is much better.

Old 03-25-17, 09:53 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with pugsl. Even with win 10 Pro, the updates are really annoying. I'll never recommend it & I'm sorry that I spent $1,500 on custom hardware. Before you say switch to Linux, I think Linux is put together with spit & glue. I would go with Unix first if they had decent print & sound drivers.

Old 03-25-17, 09:54 AM
H
Another postscript -

Microsoft has given up on "programs" and is now calling everything "apps".
That can be good, many websites are available as "apps" e.g. PBS/TuneInRadio/YouTube(knockoffs)
Using the app allows you to avoid the CPU overhead of opening a browser to get to the site,
on a marginal system, (e.g 10 year old netbook) that can make a big difference to performance.

-edit-
I agree about XP not being broke, so why fix it, but that wasn't an option for me.
My finance work requires current OS, corporate policy requires full disk encryption,
and I can only log in from encrypted browsers that XP doesn't support.
Wife's laptop running XP could not connect to some major university networks,
or Fed agency networks in DC.

Old 03-25-17, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
I have nothing but good things to say about Win 10. I have it on my main computer (upgraded from win 7) and a tablet computer (from 8.1) I do not see any issues with updates, but I am not a "power user".

Old 03-25-17, 04:59 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'll have to agree with Tolyn. I love it. The updates only happen when I shut it down. It takes over, downloads the updates and shuts the computer the rest of the way down. Easy. You'll have to face reality on updates......it is Microsoft, so learn to live with it.

All this is being said from a diehard XP person, too. Once I ventured into the cavern, I found light and it runs impeccably. Now, I did opt for the classic rather than the artsy fartsy set up. Maybe that is why I can work with it so well. Old tricks (XP) die hard.

Old 03-25-17, 07:19 PM
D
You'll have to face reality on updates......it is Microsoft, so learn to live with it.
If there are enough boycotts, that might change. There are many articles on how win 10 has killed PC sales. Many people are switching to smart phones & other alternatives. I'll never spend more than $200 on a PC again.

Old 03-25-17, 07:56 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are many articles on how win 10 has killed PC sales. Many people are switching to smart phones & other alternatives.
Win 10 is and what is killing PC sales spell that

Old 03-25-17, 08:02 PM
M
There are many articles on how win 10 has killed PC sales. Many people are switching to smart phones & other alternatives.
Windows 10 isn't what's killing PC sales. PCs themselves are. It used to be in a couple of years the hardware in your PC was completely outdated and a new machine would be considerably faster have many new features. Nowadays PC improvements over time are becoming smaller and smaller, a 2 or 3-year-old PC can do everything that a new one can. No reason to upgrade if you are not gaining anything.

Old 03-26-17, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator
Just my take on Win10 updates. I'm not even aware they're happening. Hasn't interfered with anything ever. Not sure what the big deal is.? Only on an old laptop did an update get hung up for some reason. I manually did that one and no problems since. FWIW, I've had occasional problems with an update like that in other versions of Windows, too. Don't think it's Win10 only.

Old 03-26-17, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
One of the biggest reasons to upgrade a PC is games. You need a much more powerful system to run the latest games at good performance. I am sure you can see a correlation between games sales dropping and PC sales dropping. my brother, who is a hard core gamer, upgrades his system every 2-3 years. My video card just failed (lifetime warranty) and I found out I have had the same system for 6.

Old 03-26-17, 11:16 AM
H
I found out I have had the same system for 6.
That's nothing, I once opened up the case on an ancient but custom Win98 desktop,
and found the original cost sheet taped to inside of the case.
$2,750 new, premium for 786K memory, the 600 meg drive, and a SVGA card and monitor.
But they did throw in the flying-toaster screensaver for free....

Following up on that -
When you're upgrading the OS, it's a good time to upgrade the processor and memory as well.
Not all at once, but as incremental changes, first get the computer working, then add memory, then update CPU.

Last edited by Hal_S; 03-26-17 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-26-17, 04:43 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I like Win 10. As with everything it has it's good and bad points. But over all it's good. If you think about it, you really have little choice unless you're willing to go to Apple (very restrictive) or Linux (very hard to understand and learn, but by far a better OS). Eventually all the other MS OS's will be dropped and obsoleted. Linux is missing that corporate sanction that makes everything fall into place with little trial and error. Just imagine if Windows was marketed like Linux? What nightmare that would be.

Keep in mind that WIN 10 can be made to look like Win 7 or 8 with just minor differences. I remember when XP first cam out. Oh the lamenting about how bad it was. Turns out it was very good for the time. I think Win 10 will see the same fate. It will be considered very good for the current time.

A few years back I thought MS/WINDOWS was staring to come closer to a Linux/Unix type OS. But that seemed to have stopped. Maybe in the future.

Last edited by Norm201; 03-26-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 04:55 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
The updates only happen when I shut it down. It takes over, downloads the updates and shuts the computer the rest of the way down. Easy.
…and you have to hope your computer starts up again the next time you want to use it.

Old 03-26-17, 05:55 PM
D
and you have to hope your computer starts up again the next time you want to use it.
I wonder if witchcraft will keep the evil spirits away.

Old 03-27-17, 03:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have Win10 on 2 computers; my desktop and pos laptop. My desktop has no issues with updating but my laptop with an undersized processor can all but shut down when updating.

Old 03-27-17, 05:07 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

My Two Cents...

When a company dominates an industry, their new O/S will be forced upon you, whether or not you like it or not...

10 will have to grow on you like mushrooms, moss, mildew and/or mold. You will like it because M/S says so...

You'll have no choice. The replacement 10 becomes the O/S for everything and anything and everybody like it or not. Buy a new computer you get 10 like it or not...

Life After 7... DISMALL, BLEAK & GRIM! The TWILIGHT ZONE!
No need to attempt making any adjustments. We will control all you see and hear...

I'm not looking forward to 10. Tried it and dislike it. However, we all will be forced into liking 10 or have to choose another O/S. TERRIBLE! Have to relearn the 10 O/S???...:NO NO NO:

At such time when comes the total phase out of 7 bye bye......windows...

Hello........to getting a new APPLE... Older one in need of replacement anyway. New apple will run non apple external peripherals too, etc.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-27-17 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added New Smilies
Old 03-27-17, 08:02 AM
Z
I wonder if witchcraft will keep the evil spirits away.
google “regression testing” and why it exists, and consider MS had 1000 programmers working on Windows. It’s big – real big. The effectiveness of regression testing decreases as size increases. MS does not guarantee anything on an “update”. I’ve been a victim of a middle-of-the-night automatic update, finding the next morning I had an unbootable system (Vista not W10).

I’m sure there will be (or have already been) many cases in which W10 users will find that they have been updated smack into a “bad place”.

IMHO anyone using W10 should have a recovery plan on hand.

Old 03-27-17, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
To repeat, I have Win10 on 3 computers (one old to one new) and have not had any issues with the updates except for one that got hung up on the old one, but just slowed things down. It still booted up. I've had computers that didn't boot up way before Win10 and I think it's because there's some sort of problem with the computer, whether it's a hardware issue or a setting that needs changing. Possible I guess, that an update didn't agree with an old piece of hardware.
Also, anyone that didn't like Win10 because they tried it when it first came out, it's much improved now, IMO.
Just my 2cents!

Old 03-27-17, 08:18 AM
D
To repeat, I'm sorry that I spent $1,500 on a custom built PC with Win 10. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-17, 10:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Unlike Larry and Scott, I would consider myself a power user as most of my work is done on virtual machines and I am the one who builds and maintains them. The automatic update feature gets in the way on a regular basis, especially when it tells me an app (program) I had installed no longer works with the new build....

Old 03-27-17, 02:07 PM
So ask your self the question...Do I want total control (Linux), no control (Apple) or ability to "hack" and have the OS work in most all types of machines regardless of brand, or electronics it's built with?

No one is forcing Win 10. It's the most popular and the de facto OS for a reason. Look at the history.

Short form history lesson...IBM refused Bill Gates the chance to work with him. Apple decided that the graphics area was more important than the business community. Commodore decided that gaming was the only way to go. Linux was, and still is in it's infancy and not easily learned.

Bill Gates decided to market Windows to fit the broadest area of the market. He did not innovate the system. Just as most auto companies invented many of the new ideas used in cars, GM took those ideas and mass marketed them. So that is what Microsoft did. He did it on the cheap and made it affordable for the school kid to do games, do homework and for the small business man to use it also. Then they took a program called LOTUS 1-2-3 (which was the de factor spreadsheet) and again mass marketed it and expanded the office suite to fit the vast majority of the world community. And relatively speaking, affordable to everyone.

Windows is a "one size fits all" item. Name one other item that can say that and do it as well. Nothing is perfect, but consider the vast array of computer system, programs, applications and programing languages that work with Windows for the most part. Microsoft and Bill Gates "standardized" the computer industry. Microsoft is not the best OS. Apple system is very good, and my understanding is the Unix/Linux is the best. BUT...no one is willing to make those the standard. I only wish Linux was a plug and play. It's close but not as easy as Windows.

I'm not particularly fond of Microsoft, but (and I repeat) imagine what the computer world would be like if Microsoft did not emerge (and no one else did) as the predominate OS?

I just wish people would stop "b**ching" about Windows and just stop using it if they don't like it. There are alternatives.

A rhetorical question...What do people expect? I would expect my car to run flawlessly, without breaking down. That's what I expect, but that's not what I'm getting. I don't complain about it the car, but I may complain about the cost of repair.

Old 03-27-17, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
I’ve been a victim of a middle-of-the-night automatic update, finding the next morning I had an unbootable system (Vista not W10).
A little of topic but take it from me... SHUT OFF updates for Vista..... NOW.
After recently having major problems with updates on two Vista computers... I speak from experience.

Old 03-27-17, 04:33 PM
And why pray tell would you still be using VISTA? Ash can it and go to at least WIN 7.

Old 03-27-17, 06:32 PM
Z
(No I’ve been using W7 for a long time).

I would agree productivity has advanced far behind anyone’s wildest imagination because of low cost personal computing devices – and Windows powers a very large number of those computers. But to me the question is, has MS evolved in such a way as to provide the lowest quality software possible without losing any significant market share.

If they have then I think they can legitimately be criticized just as any manufacturer of a virtual monopoly product who maintains quality only just high enough to maximize profit can be criticized.

I know some people think that if you increase the quality obviously you increase the cost, so increasing quality to a level greater than is “needed” is a bad thing- sort of an overkill passed on to the consumer. Way way back in the old days most of the projects requiring software were run by Electrical or Mechanical Engineers who were used to thinking that more quality meant more cost. Programmers were discouraged from spending much time on documentation and from designing “overkill” error and exception handling in the software.

But I found in my well over 30 years as a programmer, the same things that build high quality into the software were the very same things that helped me get done faster and with far fewer defects. It was a win-win. Lower cost to the customer and a product that is extremely reliable (an Air Force Sergeant once asked a Colonel at the NMCC how the “--- System” which I designed and implemented most of the software for, was working. The answer was one word “flawlessly”).

I think a legitimate question is, for example, could Windows (all versions) have done a much better job of handling the “update” process – if only they cared more? Would it have incurred greater cost which would have to be passed on to the consumer? Handling an “update” process, although very complicated, is not bleeding edge or rocket science – and they have been at it for quite a while.

Random sampling seems to indicate there are still a lot of problems with Windows Update. I think you have to honestly ask – why is that?

Old 03-31-17, 03:48 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zoesdad
". . . I would agree productivity has advanced far behind anyone’s wildest imagination . . ."
Just checking to see if you meant to write 'far beyond anyone's wildest imagination" ?

I always find it easier to edit someone else's utterance than it is to edit my own !

At least you know I'm reading.

Old 03-31-17, 03:59 AM
No matter how much I proof read, I always find mistakes after I send it!

If I could spell, I'd be dangerous!

Old 03-31-17, 06:48 AM
Z
Yep – I meant to say “beyond’ not “behind” – LOL. Thanks!!

I wish I could find a certain article again, if I do I will post it. But the author has a “hate on” for the average Windows user. He claims MS has no choice but to force updates on people in W10 because they are too stupid (he used the word “stupid”) to keep their computers up-to-date and hence their carelessness puts everyone else at risk.

I guess that’s one way to look at it.

Old 04-15-17, 04:23 AM
After being bitten with the 100% disk utilization in Wndows 7 (that also exists in Windows 10 apparently) I decided to abandon Windows completely We now use FreeBSD on all but one machine, and the other machine is Ubuntu Linux. The cool thing with our FreeBSD machines is each one has a unique desktop package installed, so to the uninformed user they all look like different OS machines. FreeBSD is UNIX based OS so its very different than Windows. But if you have an older machine (say 3 to 5 years old) and you want to try something cool then give FreeBSD a try.

Since we did this, our computer 'issues' are pretty much non-existent. And everyone in the house is very happy with FreeBSD.

Last edited by Bob_Plumb; 04-15-17 at 04:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-17, 07:57 AM
D
Bob, congrats on FreeBSD. I started with version 2.2.1 in the late 90s. What print driver do you use? I despise CUPS. What sound driver do you use?

Old 04-16-17, 04:33 PM
Z
Well it looks like they’ve done a great job of explaining what FreeBSD is and how to install it (“FreeBSD installation guide” link on “GetFreeBSD” page). IMHO the installation overview and instructions are very good.

https://www.freebsd.org/
/

Old 04-27-17, 04:49 PM
Wrong place...deleted___________________________________

Last edited by Norm201; 04-27-17 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 06:32 PM
J
I've been an IT professional for 25 years. My advice is simple - "do NOT update to Windows 10". All my machines run Windows 7, 64 bit (to be able to use more than 3 GB RAM). IMO, Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 are GARBAGE.

Look it's really simple. Rule #1 in IT is "if it works don't mess with it". There is NOTHING that Windows 10 will give you that Windows 7 etc will not. You currently have a working computer, right? Why mess with that? Chances are that Windows 10 won't be compliant with one (or more) of your current applications or accessories.

Even if Windows 10 works for you ... it uses a TON more memory than Windows 7 just sitting there doing nothing with no apps running.

Old 05-12-17, 08:31 PM
D
Look it's really simple. Rule #1 in IT is "if it works don't mess with it".
Is that why a local credit union is still running XP? I went there to open an account & almost fell off the chair when I saw XP flashing on a monitor. After a brief conversation, I left without opening an account.

Off topic side note: Credit Unions are not under the "Bail in" clause of the Dodd Frank bill that allows banks to take your money if they are in financial trouble. That's why I went there.

Old 05-13-17, 12:52 AM
J
>> Is that why a local credit union is still running XP? I went there to open an account & almost fell off the chair when I saw XP flashing on a monitor. After a brief conversation, I left without opening an account.

Actually, there could be good and valid reasons for this. Bear in mind that banks often are running old / legacy applications. Some of these may not work with a newer client OS. It's really not important that Microsoft "sunset'd" the OS. No one needs Microsoft for support anyway.

MOST of the "real apps" that banks often use are usually based on either mainframes or AS/400 systems that are WAY OLDER than Windows XP. They are ROCK SOLID and are "maybe" rebooted like once a year. Honestly, it doesn't matter a bit if they run Windows XP as a client, especially if they are merely using a browser or terminal emulator to communicate to the real system.

XP is very stable, reliable, fast and secure (as far as Windows goes). The downside is most copies are 32-bit (limited to 3 GB memory). That is the key reason I finally upgraded from XP to 7 only a few years ago. I have to admit win 7 is superior - it's got great automatic driver support. I'll never upgrade to Win 8 or 10. They are both garbage.

Old 05-13-17, 02:47 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Jefferson17, you have a propensity to throw out the word "garbage" when describing things. Is that a real term? I was a die hard XP person (not professional like you), and tried to grow into W7 on my wife's computer and thought it a little too artsy fartsy. I finally acquiesced and am now running W10, and find it to be a far superior program than W7 ever would be. It has refinements that make it more user friendly. W7 seemed to be a leap into oblivion for MS, and they didn't know where they were going. W10 may use more memory, but such is life.

I think stating you prefer not to use a product is better than bashing it, since it isn't allowed on the forums, so keep that in mind, OK?

Old 05-13-17, 05:12 AM
D
XP is very stable, reliable, fast and secure (as far as Windows goes).
You forgot hackable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: