Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Random Device Disconnect Sound - Could it be electrical?

OR

08-11-17, 03:59 PM   #81 (permalink)  
Of course - if I can catch him. Apparently, the marriage has dissolved... and one or the other or the realtor return periodically for a few minutes (usually during the day).

Sponsored Links

08-11-17, 04:27 PM   #82 (permalink)  
Apparently, the marriage has dissolved
While that's not good news, it might solve your problem. You can wait until you see someone or leave a note. If you are really intent on contacting him, let me know.

Super Moderator

AZ

08-12-17, 12:11 AM   #83 (permalink)  
A visual inspection will normally tell you a lot. Old or frayed cables. Loose connections. A simple check with a multimeter from the metal case or chassis to ground (on an outlet), should read real close to zero ohms. Bond (run wire between) all metal cases or chassis.

Some of this is a lot harder since so many things are almost all plastic or snap together. I remember a time when speakers were in metal shells because you'd get a hum from the CRT itself sometimes.

Just look up electrical bonding and grounding. Wikipedia explains it pretty well. You can use just about any type of wire since it's not a part of the home electrical system and therefore not regulated by code. You need a multimeter if you don't have one already. You can get a decent analog meter for $15-20. Any less and they are kind of a pain to work with.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

08-12-17, 03:38 AM   #84 (permalink)  
If your router is a dual band variety try switching to another band. Mine works at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Many other wireless devices like phones also work in the 2.4GHz range. Back when I had a land line for my home phone I used to lose my internet connection if the wireless phone was in use. They both worked on 2.4 GHz and messed up the signal to my wifi on my computer. I use the 5 GHz signal now because of that. Although have been all cellular in my house for about 5 years, I remember being frustrated when a telemarketer would call in and mess up my internet connection.

Search this Thread