wood fence life expectancy

Old 09-30-02, 12:04 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood fence life expectancy

i am trying to decide between a vinyl fence or a pressure treated fence. around here, the vinyl panels are about twice as much as the PT. with proper sealing and maintanance, how long should a PT fence last? my parents has lasted 12 years, and i know my dad only applied a water sealer once, when the fence was first put up.

thanks,
mitch.

Old 09-30-02, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
mitcheal,

How long does pressure-treated wood last? Currently available research shows that wood that has been properly treated and installed for its intended use can be expected to last for many decades.

The biggest thing about Pressure Treated lumber is that is is treated to be Decay and Termit Resistant. Unless it says so, and you will know when you see the price tag, some PT lumber is treated with a sealer.

Most, if not all PT lumber available at a HD or Lowes or even most lumberyards don't have the sealer added. It cost alot more for this type of treated lumber. I used to think that it was waterproof but I was wrong.

If you intend to build a fence, it will have very little horizontal surface for ponding water but you have to look at the fact that the cut ends will be subject to weather, exposing fiberous ends. Almost all decks fail not due to rotting but water infiltration and the boards start to cup, warp, etc. When the cracking appears, the problem has been due to water getting into the wood fibers, it expands and contracts, creating havoc on the most beautiful decks. The lack of a good UV stain and/or sealer is the other real culprit of decking problems. It's amazing how all the elements destroy what you build if you don't take care of them. Let's face it, a deck is a "maintenance" item.

If you use PT wood, seal it immediately, no waiting. Apply a sealer or stain/sealer that has good UV and waterproofing quality.

Once a year, apply a waterproofing sealer - you can use a weed sprayer for this - makes the job easy, fast and no mess. The wood will last for years and years and maintain its appearance as well!

Hope this helps!

Old 10-01-02, 01:35 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
my concern when fencing is the concrete to PT. I cant get .60 easily so im usually stuck with crappo .40. I like to cuprinol the bottom of the posts about 3-5 inches higher than the cement will be. Then be sure to put a bit of large gravel in the bottom of the post hole for water to drain away. Finally use a post cap to keep the top from being exposed. PT is allegedly to last 35 years, but its all in how you do it.

Hope this helps-Josh

Old 10-03-02, 02:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

P-T wood is treated at different treatment levels for different uses. Most of the major manufacturers (Weyerhaeuser, G-P, etc.)have a limited warranty of 50 years, if the proper treatment level is used in the application.
.40 is for above-ground application (decking, etc.), .60 is for ground contact (landscape timbers, etc.). I would not use less than .80 for in-ground use (and seal it and put drainage gravel in the post holes, as suggested). Order the right treatment level, if you have to, and it should last you.
The P-T treatment levels indicate the pound of P-T chemical per cubic foot of wood. For instance, .80 means that there is .8 lb of chemical per cubic foot of wood.
I built a 150' pier, dock and boathouse in '95, and I special ordered 2.0 P-T wood for all of the 4X6 and 6X6 P-T pilings that are in the water and ground. This two-pound stuff is a lot more expensive, but it is what they use in the ocean to combat sea worms. Hurricane "Godzilla" will take it down before it rots. LOL
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-03-02, 03:54 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
2.0?!!!! Mike I need to visit your lumberyard! -Josh

Old 10-03-02, 12:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can get it, but you usually have to special-order it.

Old 10-03-02, 02:15 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
Is 2.0 the highest they make? I have to special order even .6 around here. -Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: