Patio Sloped Towards The House: What To Do?

Old 05-04-15, 03:39 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Patio Sloped Towards The House: What To Do?

Hi all,

I'm a new homeowner and dealing with my first major issue. My patio in the back looks as if it has settled at some point and is now sloped in slightly towards the house. Obviously this is bad news. I am planning to install a french drain on the edges of the patio away from the house, but how can I fix the backwards slope?

In the attached pictures, you can see the black line along the base of the house that shows the amount of settling that has occurred.

I don't really have a ton of money to spend on this (spend a bunch on the house) so I'm looking for a affordable solution. I know I could jackhammer it all up and re-lay it, but that seems like a lot (plus I'm not confident in my concrete laying yet). I've had others suggest self-leveling cement, or putting down a paver base and then some sort of cloth and then pavers on top?

I'm kind of clueless with this. Any help would be appreciated beyond words.

Thanks

Name:  picture2.jpg
Views: 16379
Size:  35.5 KB

Attached Images  
Old 05-04-15, 03:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you think it's settled near the house you could look into mud jacking. They bore holes through the slab and inject grout under the slab and can raise it back up and firm up the support underneath.

Old 05-04-15, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
By far the cheapest and best option would probably be removing and replacing. A lot of labor but if you DIY it only costs you the time and concrete is fairly cheap. Any topping you tried to add would be very short lived.

Old 05-05-15, 01:38 PM
L
I've never done a concrete patio or concrete anything before for that matter. Is it a beginner level project?

Old 05-05-15, 03:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
If you do your homework and are prepared then concrete can be a DIY job. Judging from your photos I think the first hurdle would be where a ready mix truck can get and how far his chute will reach. If he has to stay out on the street and you need concrete in the back yard you'll become painfully aware that it literally weighs a ton.

Old 05-05-15, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
3x9x4" thick would equal 1/3 yard of concrete. Most companies have a minimum 1 yard charge whether you use a yard or not. You will without a doubt have to wheel barrrow it to that location, a full truck would bust up your driveway worse than it already is.

Some places will have mini hoppers you can rent, tow home and return.

Old 05-06-15, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it were mine, I'd batch and pour the new concrete myself. For such a small amount, renting a mixer wouldn't be too expensive, and premixed, bagged concrete is relatively cheap in small quantities--15 bags of Sakrete (sweetened with Portland cement) would cost less than $100. It is hard work, though, so be prepared for a workout like you've never experienced before. Having a helper would make a big difference, especially if he/she knew how to finish concrete.

Old 05-10-15, 09:42 PM
L
I'm considering keeping the existing concrete and just putting thin pavers over it. I was going to slope it accordingly with packed sand under them. This would alleviate all the hassle of breaking up and replacing the concrete no?

A lynn voted this post useful.
Old 05-11-15, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
It will do little to help and drainage issues though. Water will flow under the pavers toward the house. Then there is the freeze/thaw cycles of winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: