Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attaching Stringer to rim joist

09-07-17, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Attaching Stringer to rim joist

I am a while away from tackling the stairs but want to try and understand the options.
The edge of the deck where I want to attach the stairs is made up of a sistered 2x10 and a 2x2 supporting the joists (no hangers were used). If I have read that I have I have to extend the 2x10 to get enough support for the stringer. I am Not sure how to do that with the 2x2 in the way. I suppose I could replace the 2x2 with hangers but then I would still need to handle the thickness of the sistered 2x10s. I can't go between the posts as the sintered 2x10 sit on the outside edge of the 6x6 posts.
As as always, appreciate any comments

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

NE

09-07-17, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)  
See Figure 31 in the DCA 6.

You won't have any problem if your top step is flush with the top of the framing.

09-09-17, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Is that the only option I have? I would have preferred to step down to the first step instead of having it flush with the top of the deck. I see that a solid stringer might work but is restricted to 36in wide. I was looking at 39in (width of the original stairs.

Group Moderator

NJ

09-09-17, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)  
To approach a 39" wide step you would probably need three stringers to support the weight.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

09-09-17, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)  
Might be able to give a suggestion if we could see it. One option would be to put two posts behind your proposed staircase (behind the existing rim joist) so that you could bolt a ledger directly below your existing rim.

I see that a solid stringer might work but is restricted to 36in wide.
This sentence makes no sense... explain. What exactly are you calling a stringer? Because the "stringer" is the 2x12 that you cut your treads risers into.

09-10-17, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)  
I just uploaded a picture of the undferside of the deck. The stairs originally came off the left side of the corner where there is a single rim joist . If possible, I would ahve liked the stairs to come off of the right side of the post where there are 2 2x10 and the 2x2 supported in the joists. The original stairs were a straight run down of 15 steps. I was hoping to do a switch back style stairs going out from the house and back so there would be more light to the basements windows

Attached Images

09-10-17, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)  
What about using 2 posts on the outside and bolt the ledger directly below your existing rim.

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

09-10-17, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)  
First, I would get rid of the 2x2 cleat and put the joists in hangers like they should be. Also get rid of the old framing you are abandoning from the left side. Then I would probably just bolt 3 short pieces (maybe 15" long... 9 1/2 + 5 1/2) of 4x4 vertically onto the back of the doubled rim. Then attach a doubled 2x6 to that with bolts so you have 5 1/2" more framing below your existing rim. That would allow you to drop your stair jacks down 7" below the top of the existing framing and you could hang them with sloped hangers.

09-10-17, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)  
The framing on the left side of the corner is already gone as the picture is a couple of weeks old.
I was thinking of removing the 2x2 and replacing with joist hangers so your idea may be the justification to do so.

I am going to have 4x4 posts on both sides of the corner and there will be a 4x4 on the other side of the stairways so perhaps I could use them to attach the sistered 2x6s. Do you think it matters if the 4x4 is on the inside (as you described it) or outside of the doubled rim ?

Forum Topic Moderator

NE

09-11-17, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)  
Do you think it matters if the 4x4 is on the inside (as you described it) or outside of the doubled rim ?
Imagine what it would be like if the 4x4 is on the outside. Refer to some of the pictures in the link below.

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-c...-deck-stairs_o

If your intent is to use long posts that sit on a footing, and use them as part of your guardrail, maybe outside would be best. I'm talking about putting short pieces of 4x4 behind to simply hang a support below the rim, independent of your guardrail. (similar to how they did it when your stairs were on the left)

Search this Thread