How to stop a ceiling-attached chain from squeaking

Old 11-03-15, 05:59 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
How to stop a ceiling-attached chain from squeaking

Hi,

I am really not certain which thread was the best one to post this to. I own a bubble chair, similar to the ones here: Bubble Chair | eBay

It is attached to my ceiling with a carabiner and a screw eye hook, that is solidly anchored to my attic. However, each time I sit in my chair, it squeaks very loudly, to the point where if there is the slight movement (and there always is), I cannot have a conversation with someone else, let alone watch a movie.

Are there suggestions to reduce the friction / fix the problem? I know this is a odd question, and possibly there are no solutions, but I really would like to fix this.

Thanks

Old 11-03-15, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Where does the noise come from..... the entire length of the chain or where it's attached at the ceiling ?

Metal to metal contact will make noise. If it's one place like the hook, or the carabiner.... you may be able to slide rubber hose on to act as an insulator.

Old 11-04-15, 06:23 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Perhaps replace the chain with rubber-coated chain, or an equal length of coated steel cable. Both sold by the foot at most hardware stores.

Old 09-13-16, 07:21 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It might have something to do with how it's anchored in the ceiling, too. If the squeak isn't coming from the chains, it might be coming from the ceiling where the chain is set. If the wood is old or weathered, the squeak could be coming from farther in the attic. Sadly, in that case you might want to consider anchoring your chair somewhere else to reduce noise.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: