Easiest way to section off a room with privacy

Old 06-03-17, 09:32 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Easiest way to section off a room with privacy

I have a big room that I want to section off without building a wall.
The opening to be sectioned is 12' wide by 8' tall.
I'd like to just goto HD, pick up the stuff, build it in a couple hours and be done with it.
Doesn't have to look pretty but all the curtain/dropcloth solutions I've researched are missing a privacy component.
In other words there's no way to "lock" the curtains on the side (could be permanent) and down the middle (would have to be temporary to be used as a doorway of sorts) and on the bottom (again temporary since the curtains or other solutions would have to slide open).
The best I've come up with is a wood frame of 2x4s holding up a 3/4" copper pipe with shower curtain rings holding up the classiest tarp available.
The rings of the tarp can have mini padlocks on them but getting in and out then would require at least 3 padlock openings (one in the middle and two on the bottom).
Ideally there's some sort of "zipper" with the handle facing inwards so the outside party can't get in unnoticed.
Any other ideas?

Last edited by MichaelChang; 06-03-17 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-04-17, 03:43 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
the tarp can have mini padlocks on them but getting in and out then would require at least 3 padlock openings
You want to build a secure wall that has locks out of a tarp?

Old 06-04-17, 06:04 AM
M
kind of.

three security "definitions":
a) others can't see inside (I want this)
b) residents can't get in unnoticed (I want this)
c) outsiders can't break in (I don't need this)

so a) above is just a matter of putting up something opaque.
I'm not going to address c) above since if an outsider can break through the front or back door they'll pretty much be able to break through the internal doors.

so the the reason for b) above is if resident goes into the area they shouldn't, rips/tears/etc would be noticed and the matter could be addressed (a deterrent since they know it'd be noticed)

Old 07-28-17, 04:10 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 113 Upvotes on 98 Posts
think I would just build a wall with a door unless it had to be temporary, then I would still probably build a wall with 3 removable sections 1 with a door keeping each section as light as possible so tarp, or plastic or even wall paneling doesn't weight that much and probably last longer than a tarp.

Old 07-28-17, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would tend to agree with alan. A wall can be temporary if you build it with screws. You just put a top plate against the ceiling, put 2 or 3 screws in it, and a bottom plate on the floor, same thing. Cut your studs to fit tightly and put a screw angled into the plate on both ends. Frame a door opening, and install a prehung door. Put a keyed entry lockset on it. Cover one or both sides of the wall with paneling or lauan.

When you take it down you will have a few holes to repair at most.

Old 08-08-17, 04:52 AM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Accordion room dividers:
Shop Portable Partitions

Old 08-08-17, 04:57 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Dixie's suggestion is the easiest and most convenient.
[h=1][/h]

Old 08-10-17, 11:27 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Dixie's suggestion was also my first thought but I think this is a case where more details are going to lead to a better answer - we don't really know what you're trying to accomplish (and why) nor the constraints under which you're working.

Old 08-10-17, 12:48 PM
M
I just bit the bullet and put up a regular wall with double doors, thanks for all the suggestions I wouldn't be comfortable buying something like an accordion door online just because I'm not experienced enough to know what issues could surface if I don't see this thing in front of me before buying

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: