Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Build my own bathtub from scratch?

11-16-06, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Build my own bathtub from scratch?

I have not a clue, but Im gonna do it , with help if ya got some.
What I do have is 64"x64" space in an oddly shaped room that used to have a home made shower stall (recently removed) with a drain set into a concrete floor. The drain was set to work for the whole floor, as the drain was set OUTSIDE the shower stall! Water flowed under the showerstall frame into the drain, yes, it was ugly!

My plan is to build a frame in which I can begin the process of molding some sort of fiberglass tub, if thats even possible.I am open to other materials. I want to control the size of the tub, so I'm willing to do it myself and hopefully save myself 2 or 3 grand,or not.

I might even want to get fancy and install water jets,for the homemade hot tub thing.

Thing is, I need ideas on how to do this, have any?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links

IL

11-17-06, 04:24 AM   #2 (permalink)  
My thoughts:
You can get a decent tub for around $300.
You can get a nice tub for around $500.
With jets $800.

Save the money by installing a quality tub yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide... and post back some pics if
you decide to go forward with your hand-crafted tub.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-17-06, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)  
Another thing to consider is the weight load on the floor. A large shower has no real water weight on the floor framing but a large tub filled with water..... will the floor structure accommodate the load?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-17-06, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)  
Posted By: JPicasso My thoughts:
You can get a decent tub for around $300.
You can get a nice tub for around $500.
With jets $800.

Save the money by installing a quality tub yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide... and post back some pics if
you decide to go forward with your hand-crafted tub.
Mostly, I want to control the size of the tub, since I can't seem to control MY size, LOL. The other thing I have to consider is the weird shape of the room in relation to where the drain is located since its already set in a concrete floor, in a basement.

I saw a nice tub for $777.00. But I want more than 18" depth.

marksr Another thing to consider is the weight load on the floor. A large shower has no real water weight on the floor framing but a large tub filled with water..... will the floor structure accommodate the load?

Guess I should have mentioned that that concrete floor was in a basement. :-)

11-17-06, 10:23 AM   #5 (permalink)  
up and atom

Any chance you can build a platform that would cover the tub area and the drain? placing the tub / drain install on this platform may allow you to plumb the drain from its current stub-out to wherever you need it to be. Would also give you a level subfloor for the install. I did this with platform constructed of 2x4's with 3/4" ply over the top as the new subfloor. This allowed me to replace a left hand alcove tub with a RH alcove tub. It might save you the trouble of building a huge wooden buck and laying up many layers of fiberglass - use that time instead to build your own sailboat hull or homebuilt aircraft fuselage.

11-17-06, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)  
Posted By: rjanscha Any chance you can build a platform that would cover the tub area and the drain? placing the tub / drain install on this platform may allow you to plumb the drain from its current stub-out to wherever you need it to be. Would also give you a level subfloor for the install. I did this with platform constructed of 2x4's with 3/4" ply over the top as the new subfloor. This allowed me to replace a left hand alcove tub with a RH alcove tub. It might save you the trouble of building a huge wooden buck and laying up many layers of fiberglass - use that time instead to build your own sailboat hull or homebuilt aircraft fuselage.
I considered building a sort of step up platform to the tub over the drain, it just can't be too high the ceiling is 7'2". Imagine a 64" square i have to work with,the drain being in on onthe line and 12 inches from the outside (concrete ) wall at the lowest point in the room.

Thankyou by the way.

11-17-06, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)  
Best of luck to ya - honestly.... but it reminds me of the time I was determined to make my own kayak (heck, I know how to put down fiberglass, right?). What a fiasco.........

Did I learn a lesson - nope - after that disaster, I went out and built a wooden jet boat - which, after 3 years in the making, turned out beautiful - the envy of everyone who saw her --- but at 3 times the price that I could have bought a ready made hull...............

11-17-06, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Posted By: thezster Best of luck to ya - honestly.... but it reminds me of the time I was determined to make my own kayak (heck, I know how to put down fiberglass, right?). What a fiasco.........

Did I learn a lesson - nope - after that disaster, I went out and built a wooden jet boat - which, after 3 years in the making, turned out beautiful - the envy of everyone who saw her --- but at 3 times the price that I could have bought a ready made hull...............
Ah, just the man I need. I know nuthin about putting down fiberglass. Where's a good place for me to learn how. I need to size this thingy myself. I have to give it a go. I am retired, so I have more time than money.
Got Ideas?

FL

11-18-07, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)  
if your worried about he drain location, id say the best bet would be hack up the concrete, relocate the drain, then fill it back in with concrete. it would look alot cleaner afterwards instead of building up the whole area. as for the custom tub, im planning on doing something like that myself, although i have no idea how...

11-19-07, 06:44 AM   #10 (permalink)  
I'd think a DIY tub would be both easier and look nicer made of mosaic tile than fiberglass.

There's one on this page: http://www.rentcasperia.com/ilsogno.html

It would be basically the same as building a tile pool or even a tile shower pan. I think they line it with lead and then lay a mortar bed.

I've also seen pics of Japanese style deep soaking tubs made of tile.

Then again Jacuzzi makes 60" X 60" drop in tubs, that seem like they's work perfect in your space, if you can get them down the stairs. I'd also vote for that being cheaper than any DIY option.

11-19-07, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)  
The two of you do realize this thread is 1 year old, right?

although to martin, I would not even consider using fiberglass. Fiberglass is typically used on a mold so the face is smooth. To lay it up and then finish it smooth would be an extreme amount of work. Even then you would have to find some finish coat. Gel-coat (which is what is typically used on 'glass) is also designed to be used in a mold. Spraying it leaves a very uneven finish that has to be sanded and buffed. Again, an extreme amount of work.

Personally, if it were me, I would use terrazzo although it is also a huge undertaking as well. Maybe even more than using 'glass.

Search this Thread