Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Foods, Beverages, Health, Dieting and Weight Control. > Dieting and Weight Control
Reload this Page >

I need wisdom and advice to get me to drop 30 lbs as fast as possibly

I need wisdom and advice to get me to drop 30 lbs as fast as possibly

Old 05-12-14, 10:30 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post I need wisdom and advice to get me to drop 30 lbs as fast as possibly

Asking for advice for losing weight. I'm currently 6 ft 225lbs. My hockey weight was always 180; meaning i have to drop 50 lbs 1and that's where I want to be. I work second shift 230-1030pm. Any advice on pills or types of workouts to cut weight will be a life saving game changer for me... Please help me before I hit the point of no return

Old 05-13-14, 04:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums Matt!

I doubt any pills will help much, it's all about calorie intake and how much you burn off. I used to eat like a horse and stay skinny, now that I'm older and not as active I eat maybe a third of what I used to and can't seem to get my weight under 200 lbs. Cutting out junk food, soda and such might be enough, the main thing is to eat healthier and exercise more .... wish I could do a better job of following my own advice

Old 05-13-14, 04:29 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
A change in life style habits is in order and perhaps the hardest thing to accomplish. The use of pills or fad diets come and go and most people usually drop a diet at some point and gain the weight right back. Once you reach a comfortable routine and make it a lifestyle you'll feel better and less likely to revert back. But don't expect to get back to that 180 . It's that older thing that Marksr is talking about .

Old 05-14-14, 09:58 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Change of lifestyle - agreed.

Also, 180 may not be the right goal any more - look in the mirror, not at the numbers on the scale.

kathann voted this post useful.
Old 05-14-14, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A few months back I was doing a mini-bootcamp type of workout. Dues to some bad joints I was kind of restricted, but it varied between boxing, resistance bands, upper body weight training, squats, flexibility, medicine ball, rope slapping, and balance type exercise along with a one mile walk to both warm up and cool down. 35-40 min 3 times a week. That and reducing red meat and carbs, and eating more veggies, brought me from 249 to 224 in about 4-5 months. My goal was to hit about 200 after a year (-5lbs a month is imminently doable). Due to personal and physical issues the workouts stopped, but the healthier eating stayed and I'm now at 227. Maybe after some surgical repairs I can start something similar at a different place.

As stated...it's all about lifestyle and diet.

Old 05-25-14, 10:22 PM
H
A good diet demands discipline not some kind of diet miracle pill and never any lap band surgery or gastric bypass surgery. You need to give up the candy,chips or any really salty foods,sugary soda and over eating. Most people do over eat and don't even realize it so cutting your portions back will help you a good deal.

You also need to get more exercise and at least walk a good distance 2 times a week. If you have the money a gym membership would be great for you and you could get further advice there. Before doing anything though get the advice of your doctor.

Old 11-23-14, 08:44 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I agree. I think a lot of the overweight problem in this country is mostly diet and lack of exercise. And the stuff that food manufacturers put in our food doesn't help either. But here is a little tip. Read the ingredients of the foods that you buy. I mean REALLY read it closely.

Look at things like saturated fat, cholesterol, sugar, carbohydrates, salt, additives. Try to buy products that have the smallest amounts possible in these ingredients. Have you seen how much sodium they put in products? It's ridiculous. You don't need that much salt to give it flavor. Try to stay away from processed foods and concentrate more on organic or natural.

Another important point someone mentioned is to eat smaller portions.

If any questions on a safe regimen for food and exercise, please consult with a physician.

Bu then I have to understand that their be challenges in weight loss that some of us aren't aware of. Are there physiological problems that can make weight loss more difficult?

Old 11-23-14, 11:02 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Search for weight loss and these names, LeBron James, Dmitri Young, and Phil Mickelson. What theses notables and many more all have in common is some approach to low carb eating. Everybody's body is different, but what I have learned is sugar and carbohydrates (and too much salt) are not good for us, just look around at America. I hit 315 for my high and had all the age/weight related problems with diabetes, swollen ankles, and high blood pressure. In 3 months of some serious low carbing I'm down 60 pounds and have more energy than I have experienced in 40 years. My last doctors visit and review of the routine blood tests, my doctor was shocked. He said if the next round of blood tests came in this good he would remove diabetes from my medical record.

There is one aspect to low carbing that I find unique, you lose the desire to eat. I now eat by the clock. I have to be creative to go without so many foods I have loved for too many years, no pizza, no pasta, no sandwiches, and limiting anything that tastes sweet, even fruits. I eat everything allowed in moderation and quite often put my plate away unfinished.

Losing weight is simply a case of eating right and unfortunately the mathematical approach the AMA has been pushing for 40 years of low fat and counting calories has been wrong.

Bud

Old 11-23-14, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Good advice Bud...and like you said...everyone is different. I have almost completely given up sweets that I used to love when I was younger...but an occasional small square of bakers german dark chocolate is plenty. I love going to breakfast, lunch, or dinner at a diner that gives a nice big plate for a good price. but have not finished one in years. Ok, fine, 3 meals for the price of one. Bread....maybe a slice every couple of days? Pasta...maybe every 2 weeks or so...max. And very small servings even then because I don't crave it like before. Ribs on the other hand....bring them by the platter!

I just checked and even with my low activity level for the last few months due to the knee and all....I'm still at 226! Slightly less than when I was training 2-3 times a week but that was in the loss phase. But BP is better than a few months back (Ok, yes, am taking meds) and overall I feel pretty good.

Now....if I can whip this eye thing.....

Old 11-23-14, 03:53 PM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 13 Posts
This is true. Carbs are a major player in this overweight epidemic.

Old 09-10-15, 12:35 PM
B
Funny how most people never had problems like this 50 years ago, stick to old school foods, such as butter instead of margarine which has a lot of bad stuff in it for you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: