closet doors

Old 04-13-04, 05:13 PM
ilovemydogs
Visiting Guest
closet doors

When we installed new carpet in the bedrooms, the bi fold closet doors we had no longer fit. The carpet was too high for the doors to open and close. Our house was built in the early 60's, so the doors were quite old and made of this heavy metal. On top of that, some of the hardware was missing and could not be replaced. We dumped those doors and bought new ones. We have two closets that are 60" wide and one that is 72" wide. I purchased new doors at Lowes and guess what-they did not fit!! They would fit width wise, but our doors are not the standard 80" tall-they are 94" tall! The opening for the closet goes all the way to the ceiling. What can we do to lower the wall part that the closet doors hang on so we can buy standard doors? We have the house up for sale so we do not want to invest a lot of money into this.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you
Leslie

Old 04-14-04, 12:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You can build 2X4 frames with short cripple studs on 16" centers over the doors, and cover them with drywall.
Nail the top 2X4s to the ceiling joists square over the openings. set back a 1/2" for the drywall thickness.
Measure each opening separately, but assuming that the ceiling height is the same for each, these 2X4 frames would be about 13-1/4" deep X width of opening to allow for a ripped down 1X6 piece of trim along the bottom to attach the top folding door slides to. Just make sure that the bottom trim is level and square, and adjust the framing as necessary.
Put molding trim around the top and sides, painted or stained to match the rest of the room.
That would be the way that I would do it.
Good Luck!
(Another dog lover)
Mike

Old 04-14-04, 04:41 AM
L
What Mike said will work just fine, IF you want to lower the header. But it would be easier, and probably cheaper (or at least a lot cleaner and less time consuming) to order doors that are 92" to 94" tall and install them.

Old 04-14-04, 05:40 AM
ilovemydogs
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your responses; I have a friend coming over today to look to see what he can do. TO order doors the 94" long would cost a fortune! $500.00 each for the 60" doors and over $700.00 for the 72" door. I am still shocked that we have lived here for 21 years and this is the first time we have noticed that the closets go all the way to the ceilings! My neighbors had never realized it either until we pointed it out to them.
Thanks for your help!
BTW: I am not only a dog lover but a 'lefty' also!

Old 04-14-04, 08:22 PM
L
ilovemydogs,

You're shopping at the wrong places!!

The last 'tall' (94" rather than the standard 80" height) set of bi-fold doors I ordered was only about $60 more than the standard set. Of course, that was a lumber yard, NOT a big box store.

But if that is the price differntial you're looking at, then, by all means, frame the opening down to a standard door height.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: