Velux skylight controller no longer working

Old 01-24-14, 07:41 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Skylight controller no longer working

Glad you found a way to get it working and reset.

Thanks for posting the information on how to reset the unit. Technical documentation is so poor these days, without forums like these we would be in big trouble and up for tremendous expenses!

Keep the controller working as you have 17 years to catch up to mine!

Old 05-11-14, 06:36 AM
C
Months later...

Well, I finally got around to trying to fix my Velux motor controller. I ditched the fried power supply board, ordered a wall plug in 24V 1.02A DC adapter from TRC Electronics, cut the jack plug that came with it, separated the + core from the - mesh wire, soldered some terminals to them and plugged them to the + and - terminals on my controller board. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I now have power to the control pad, but when I push the button to open or close the skylight (I never know which of the top or bottom button opens or closes), the red light flashes once, and I can hear the motor power up for a fraction of a second, but it immediately stops. The same thing happens regardless of which button (open or close) i push, and the same thing happens for both of my skylights (I have 2, and they each have their own motor control lines coming from the same controller).
Gschabel wrote in one of his posts that the first time he tried a new power supply adapter, it didn't work, possibly because he used a 'switching' power supply. I checked my adapter, and sure enough, it is a 'switching' type of DC adapter. I wonder if this is my problem.
But another forum member commented on the picture of my fried power supply board, writing that it was a beefy 'switching' type of power supply. If true, then a switching DC supply should work. I'm at a loss for what to do next, other than taking a chance and ordering a non-switching DC adapter and try it.

Old 05-11-14, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Gregger......
I don't believe there is a stop limit. I think the control board senses the increased current draw of the motor as the notification to disconnect power.

Chlemaire......
I would try a linear power supply for the $10-20 dollars it would cost. The original supply is a switching type and has been designed to run the board. You are trying to install a power supply not designed for that application.

Old 05-11-14, 10:26 AM
G
PJmax
Yep I knew that was a possibility, but hoped it wasn't the case.
If it is the case.....the 'open' action must have a different limit system?......since that works fine and she shuts off when fully open.

Old 05-12-14, 06:36 PM
G
Replaced Power Supply Fails

Yes, the sopt limit is a bit more sensitive for the close than open. This is a safety feature for crushing things like fingers!!

Two resolutions come to mind:
1) Remove the Blue resistor ( see previous posts )
2) Get a more powerful power suppy closer to 2A.

I don't recommend a switching type although others has made them work.

Let us know how you make out.

Good Luck!!

Old 05-14-14, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
All of the grief and aggravation people have with their Velux venting skylites makes me very grateful that I opted for a manually-closing model. Bought the thing in 1980 for $100 (including the flashing kit), and it's never given me a bit of grief. In fact, it's still in the original box, having moved around the country with me, patiently waiting to be installed. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Several years ago, I stumbled across a new Velux telescoping crank handle for the unit while on a trip to visit family in Wisconsin. It was on a close-out table at a big box store, with a $10 price on it. I offered them $5, and they took it. Now I just had to figure out a way to get it on board the airplane with me, as it resembles some kind of lethal, medieval weapon. The solution was so simple, I still chuckle when thinking about it. Just before turning in the rental car at the airport, I fashioned a plastic strap with electrician's tape, making it look like a crutch, and that's how I used it to limp up to the airline's ticket counter. I must have been pretty convincing, as the ticket agent insisted on upgrading my coach seat to a first-class seat, and at no extra charge. I graciously sipped my champagne as the peons clambered past, heading for the cheap seats in the rear of the aircraft.

Old 05-14-14, 11:23 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the story, Bridgeman, it made me laugh out loud.

Here is a round tuit for you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31673[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 05-14-14, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Furd gave you a round tuit..... now it's time to doit.

Old 05-14-14, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hate to tell you Bridgeman...but the warranty is long expired...lol.

If you decide to use it, I wouldn't put it in anything except a shed or a porch covering that a little leakage won't hurt. Though they are/were great products...they've improved greatly in the last 34 yrs ().

Old 06-22-14, 10:39 AM
C
Problem only half way fixed...

So i'm on my third 24V power supply, trying to make my skylight motor controller work. The first power supply was rated at 1.04A, and it did not work at all. The second one was rated at 1.67A and it worked, but only when opening the skylight. On closure, I can hear a relay switch on the controller board, but that's it. Nothing happens. I manually closed the skylight and again, no problem opening it with the controller. So i figured the power supply was still not powerful enough, and perhaps the board draws more current on closure. So i ordered a 2.5A power supply. Same thing. I can open the skylight, but it won't close. I am dumbfounded. Obviously, the controller board works when opening, and I can hear the click of the relay when the closing button is depressed. What could be the problem?
I don't want to continue buying more 24V AC/DC adapters. I'm thinking at this point, I might almost as well shell out the $$ for a new controller.

I welcome any thoughts. Thank you.

Christophe

Old 06-22-14, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Have you found out why and where it is binding? It is obviously binding, or the action would be smooth enough for the specified power supply to work.

Old 06-23-14, 07:40 AM
G
There are two somewhat separate circuits for opening and closing.

Try this and let me know the results:

Unplug all power to skylight
Manually open skylight 1/2 way
Connect power
press open for 3 seconds and see if it continues to open.
press stop after 3 seconds
press close and see if the motor runs and skylight begins to close

The results of this test will give me a better idea on how to advise you further.

Good Luck!

Glenn

Old 07-06-14, 06:59 PM
C
Glenn,

Thank you for your input, and apologies for the late reply.
I have been away, and have not had a chance to try what you are suggesting.
One comment though: My control pad has buttons to open and buttons to close, but no button to stop the action. The buttons do not need to be continually depressed for the motor to run (normally). Depressing the button once activates the motor, which stops automatically at full opening or full closure.
In other words, I cannot "press open for 3 seconds and press stop after 3 seconds".
I press open once, and the skylight opens. I press close once, and the skylight normally closes (except right now, it does not).

But I will manually open the skylight half way as you suggest, and then press open. I expect that it will open fully. I will then try to press close, as you suggest, and see what it does.

I will report on the outcome asap.

Christophe

Old 07-07-14, 03:54 PM
G
If you do not have a STOP button on your controller, using my previous instructions, where I mention to press STOP, unplug the power instead. It will serve the same purpose and reset the circuit as well.

Hope it helps!

Glenn

Old 07-19-14, 12:49 PM
S
Type ES Velux Skylight system

My keypad for my skylights is not functioning properly. It is no longer made. Is there one that can be used as a replacement?

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-14, 10:36 PM
Group Moderator
That's it ? ES ? No part numbers ?

Old 08-07-14, 05:01 PM
C
Glenn,
I followed your instructions as follows, in an attempt to diagnose the issue:
I unplugged power to the skylight.
I manually opened the skylight half way.
I connected power to the skylight (24V DC, 2.5A power supply to the controller)
I pressed Open for 3 seconds: The skylight continued to open.
I pressed Stop: The skylight stopped opening.
I pressed Close: The motor ran and the skylight started to close but only for a fraction of a second, as it immediately stopped (same behavior as observed before. No signs of strain or anything, but some relay switches on the controller board, stopping the closure action immediately after initiation).
I repeated the above several times, with the same result, on both skylights (I have 2 and they behave identically).

In summary, no problem opening the skylights.
No problem stopping the opening action.
But the closure action stops immediately after initiation.
Also, trying to continue to open the skylight after an attempt to close it does not work, unless the stop button is depressed first.

Does the above results point to any fault?

Christophe

Old 08-08-14, 07:38 PM
G
Ok, good job!!!

The fix is simple. On top of the motor is the famous resistor that needs to be removed/disconnected.

There is more detail about this previously in the thread. That will solve your problem. Let me know how you make out.

Glenn

Old 08-09-14, 10:07 AM
C
Glenn,

Success!!! I un-soldered the blue wire as you suggested and it works!

Name:  IMG_1782.jpg
Views: 16102
Size:  32.2 KB

Thank you so much for still checking this thread and responding, despite my long 'absences' from it, due to other priorities. My skylights are also 30ft up, which makes accessing the motor difficult (having to move a big ladder on top of a precarious loft, etc...). But you did it! Thank you so much!

Christophe

Old 08-12-14, 09:27 AM
G
Originally Posted by Chlemaire
Glenn,

Success!!! I un-soldered the blue wire as you suggested and it works!

Attachment 36162

Thank you so much for still checking this thread and responding, despite my long 'absences' from it, due to other priorities. My skylights are also 30ft up, which makes accessing the motor difficult (having to move a big ladder on top of a precarious loft, etc...). But you did it! Thank you so much!

Christophe
Glad it worked as planned. Enjoy your working skylight!!

Old 11-06-14, 06:01 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you have more questions about repairing skylights please start a new thread.

Old 10-31-23, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
This is a closed thread but I'm adding some additional information.
Please continue to start a new thread and we'll link them together.

Justin has put an excellent video on you tube that discuses the power supply situation.
In this video he describes the DC power supply he used. Be sure to give him a thumbs up.
Velux video on you tube

This thread deals with replacing just the defective 24VAC transformer.
Velux VSE Electric Skylight Repair

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: