How to find a single garage door panel.

Old 01-30-13, 11:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to find a single garage door panel.

I backed out of my garage without the door being fully open. I slightly bent the bottom panel of the garage door. It still works and is sealed when closed, but we want to sell the house and have to replace the panel. Garage door companies want almost $200 for the panel, but will sell me a new door for around $600. They are not interested in repairs, they want total replacements. My question is where can I find used door panels. I searched the internet and again, most of the companies are interested in replacing the whole door. Thanks

Old 01-30-13, 12:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Do you know the brand name of the door? See if you can identify the manufacturer & call them. Use google images, if you don't see any names door or hardware.

Old 01-30-13, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You will absolutely need to find the door manufacturer. For newer metal doors there are normally stickers on the top panel and sometimes the sides. Depending on the size it will run about $125 for an 8' to about $200 for a 16'. Since they are only quoting $600 for a new door, I imagine it is a smaller size (if that includes installation).

A picture might help ID the brand. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

If it's a wooden door (doubtful since you said you bent it) that's going to be tough. It can be done, but you need to measure rail and stile sizes and well as height. The panel size also matters.

Old 01-30-13, 03:19 PM
J
Thank you for your response. I'm sorry, I forgot to add the door model and manufacturer. It is an Overhead Door Series 390.

Old 01-30-13, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Overhead door is only sold through dealers AFAIK, so the best you can do is get a panel through them. Since it's the bottom panel, all spring tension will have to be removed to replace it. It will also look different since it hasn't been exposed to the weather.

Hate to say it, but unless the door has been painted and you can repaint to match, replacement might be a good option. Depends on the house of course.

Old 01-30-13, 08:58 PM
D
"Thank you for your response. I'm sorry, I forgot to add the door model and manufacturer. It is an Overhead Door Series 390.

ouch. youre at the mercy of "the man"

if it were me i would go to Home Depot and buy a DHS series and live on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: