Replacing glass in a wood frame window

Old 10-19-14, 12:48 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing glass in a wood frame window

I have a cracked window I need to replace. Not completely sure but I think the wood holding the glass in place cannot be removed. It seems to be a routed edge in the frame of the window. There is no putty holding it in place. It seems like the whole window will have to come apart somehow to replace the glass, but I'm not sure how. There are a couple nails going into the bottom corners of the window frame on the outside that may be holding it together. Not sure if they are original or if someone added them to tighten up the frame somewhat. These are awning type windows from a house built in 1958. They are the original windows and I don't want to replace them. They are in good shape otherwise. I'd rather repair them. Any idea how these windows come apart?

Old 10-19-14, 01:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Cab you give us a picture of the front and back of the window. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Old 10-19-14, 01:22 PM
F
I won't be going there till tomorrow. I'll see if i can get some pix then. Thanks.

Old 10-19-14, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Its possible to cut a mortise and tenon sash apart at the corners but its pretty difficult to do without damaging the sash. Once you remove the sash from the window (in order to work on it on a bench) you will notice the side view of the tenon on the corner. What I have done is cut those nails on each side of the tenon with a fine metal cutting blade (hacksaw or multitool) but you have to make those cuts on each side in order to free the tenon up. Those cuts also make it a bit loose and sloppy when you reassemble. So gorilla glue is a good kind to use for reassembly.

Good luck trying... this might not be a project to attempt for the novice or the weak of heart.

Old 10-20-14, 05:54 AM
F
Thanks for the reply XSleeper. I'm going to take a closer look at it this evening to see if what's holding the window in was nailed on (and painted over so I can't see the seam) or as I suspect just a channel routed into the frame of the window, in which case I would suspect I'd have to take the frame apart. I've also considered taking a utility knife and cutting that routed edge away and if I can reuse it, fine, but if not either making new moulding for it or using putty and diamonds to reattach the new glass. I'm a bit more than a novice and i'm not weak of heart either. :-D

Old 10-20-14, 05:59 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
We'll wait for the pics. Take several, close-up and one showing the whole window both inside and outside. Is it a single pane or double pane?

Old 10-20-14, 06:00 AM
F
Single pane (or pain in this case -haha).

Old 10-20-14, 02:48 PM
F
Here are the pix. Tried to take some details of inside and outside corners and one of the side corner so you can see how the window is assembled (kinda). To me it looks like the frame is 4 sides mortised together and no separate moulding for the window. The wood does look thinner on the inside, though, so I'm thinking it might actually be easier to cut out the wood that's holding it in with a utility knife. That little groove in the top corner inside pic is from me probing for a seam. Didn't appear to be one.

Name:  IMG_2378.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  35.4 KBName:  IMG_2377.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  25.4 KBName:  IMG_2375.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  36.4 KBName:  IMG_2373.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  31.6 KBName:  IMG_2380.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  28.1 KBName:  IMG_2382.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 10-20-14, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If memory serves, I believe it's the OUTSIDE stop (top pictures) that's removable on those sashes, not the inside one (bottom pictures). Don't hold me to that though.

Old 10-21-14, 06:20 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Remove the sash by removing the hardware attached to the sash. You will have to look in the 4 corners on the face for nails. Remove the nails and separate the sash rails from the glass.

Old 10-21-14, 07:06 AM
F
The top pictures were of the same window except for the side view of the corner which was of the bottom window. I thought it was easier to see the window's construction on that one. I sanded the inside corners down and they are definitely one piece with a routed channel for the glass. There were a couple nails on the outside bottom corners so I'm assuming if I can somehow remove them (they're buried under paint and the wood itself) the bottom side of the window may come off and the glass might slide out (or i'll have to break it out). Just not sure how i'll get those nails out without trashing the wood. The heads are small and under the wood already. Might have to drive them through somehow.

Old 10-21-14, 07:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As stated earlier, you need to cut the paint [any caulk also] that surrounds the wood trim that holds the glass in place and then very carefully pry out the wood stop. Even so, don't be surprised if you break one. IMO it's not a big deal to cut a replacement with a table saw.

Old 10-21-14, 09:24 AM
F
I cannot pry them off as they are all one piece with the rails. I sanded the corners down to bare wood and there is no seam where 2 pieces join. I will need to take the rail apart to slide the glass out i think.

Old 10-21-14, 12:58 PM
The moldings are not removable. Use the tip of a diagonal wire cutting pliers to remove the nails to take the frame apart.

Old 10-21-14, 01:54 PM
F
I tried to get the 2 nails in the bottom corners out, but they were rusted pretty badly and the heads just fell off. I drilled the rest of the nails out (they were like rusty powder) and tapped the bottom rail off. It was as I suspected all one piece. The moulding was not removable. Was hoping the glass would come out, but i ended up getting it out in pieces and using a screwdriver to pry out the small shards that remained in the channel. Took the whole frame to the glass shop to make sure i got the right size and they cut the glass and put it in the frame for me. Just need to reattach the bottom rail to the side rails with some screws and put some putty along the edges of the glass where i booger the wood up getting the glass shards out. At least the rain held off in my neighborhood although it poured 10 miles away where i got the glass cut. Thanks for all the help!

BTW, the guy at the glass shop said i took it apart the right way, but said i could have also cut away the stops on one side then nailed them back in.

Old 10-22-14, 04:33 AM
I didn't say it was easy....good job!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: