what brand of door is good?

Old 03-30-15, 11:57 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
what brand of door is good?

I have mastercraft exterior door in the front of my house. it has been there for at least 15 years. no problem. this year it started leaking air around the bottom left corner. I replace the compression gasket and could not get it to seal. I assumed something settled or moved. I started looking for a replacement door and noticed on line that mastercraft is getting some pretty bad ratings. I was wondering what brand names are good and reasonably priced? it is a 36x80 and I am looking for a half lite of some kind. mostly what I need is which brand the people here like best and will stand up over time. I am looking for a single door with no side lites. thanks

Old 03-30-15, 12:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may not have to replace the door, to fix the air leak. Are the screws loose in the hinges? Put a level on the top of the door. Is it level? Put it on the side also, to see if it's plumb. If you think that the house settled, check the level of the saddle too. The spacing should be the same from top to bottom, on both sides of the door.

Old 03-31-15, 04:41 AM
F
I have extension jambs on the inside of the door and I can see visually that there is a quarter inch difference in the door jamb from top to bottom. the left side bottom corner is spread out for some reason. I just didn't want to do anything with it until the weather warms, winter stays late in Iowa.

Old 03-31-15, 07:20 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would wait awhile too. There is no rush. You said that there is a space for "some reason". It would be nice to see what the reason is. When you are ready, open the door half way. Grab the knobs from both sides. Pull up & down a few times. Does the door move? Is there play in the hinges?

Old 04-01-15, 04:24 AM
F
I checked the hinges for tightness last winter when I first noticed the draft. I also put in new magnetic weather stripping and some kind of new plastic shim you can put behind the hinges to help adjust it, but those did nothing so I took them back out. the only thing I can see is that difference in the inside width of the frame and why it would spread out after all these years.

Old 04-01-15, 04:30 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That fact that the hinges were tight last year doesn't mean that they are tight today. Do the test that I described. If they are all tight, then test everything with the level as I described on 3/30/15. That will tell you if something shifted or settled. Is there a cellar directly below the door.

Old 04-01-15, 04:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
the only thing I can see is that difference in the inside width of the frame
After double checking the hinges, you can look to see if the casing shows any sign of movement - cracked caulking, difference in the reveal between the casing and the jamb, putty missing from nail holes, etc. I assume there is no water damage, has the door been slammed shut extra hard or bumped around moving furniture in/out?

Old 04-02-15, 05:40 AM
F
there is a little movement in the top and bottom hinges, couldn't tell if the center hinge was moving. I don't see any damage or rot in the jambs or frame.

Old 04-02-15, 06:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You might need an extra set of eyes to help identify the movement. Often the installer will neglect to replace some of the hinge screws with longer ones so it's secured to the stud rather than just the jamb. Have you checked all the screws to make sure they are tight? While not likely, it is possible that the hinge/pin is worn enough to cause play.

Have you placed a level on the jamb [each side] to make sure it's plumb?

Old 04-03-15, 02:44 AM
F
will do that today and let you know. thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: