Retro-fitting new storm door

Old 05-02-16, 03:36 PM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Retro-fitting new storm door

It seems like many (or maybe most) of the newer homes in our area (suburbs of Seattle) are built in such a way that adding storm doors would be difficult to say the least. My daughter would really like the light and air of a screen/storm door in the back of her new home. Problem is, the existing exterior door is on the outside of the jamb, and all the way to the outside so there is no room to install a storm door in front of it. Seems like putting the storm door on the inside would be kind of weird. Any thoughts or ideas, short of ripping everything out and starting over? Maybe I'm just overlooking the obvious.... thanks!

Old 05-02-16, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Google "retractable screen outswinging door". I have never done one but its probably your only option aside from replacing the door.

Some are similar to the roll-away screens like the ones Pella has as an option on their sliding patio doors.

Old 05-02-16, 03:47 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seems like putting the storm door on the inside would be kind of weird.
I saw that for the first time, in Florida. It looked strange but it can work. Otherwise, you have to replace the entrance door.

Old 05-02-16, 04:10 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Unless you post a picture where all stuck guessing what will work.

Old 05-03-16, 04:44 AM
Received 12 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Seems like putting the storm door on the inside would be kind of weird.
It may seem weird but it can be done. It may not look "pretty" but I don't think you have a choice. It will require a special handle and closer bracket. Here are the instructions. http://cdn.provia.com/pdf/634299959180558E17.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: