Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Doors, Skylights and Windows
Reload this Page >

Installing new glass in vintage window frame.

Old 03-25-17, 01:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I want to install a single sheet of glass into this old window frame (salvaged from a house built in 1954). I was planning to remove what I thought were small strips of wood holding the original glass in the frame, but it appears that the "strips" are actually part of the window frame and that the frame pieces were assembled around the original glass.

Name:  Window Frame 2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  22.5 KB
Name:  Window Frame 3.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  27.5 KB
Name:  Window Frame.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  45.0 KB

Anyone agree or disagree on this? And if this is the case does this mean that I'll need to take the frame apart to replace the glass or would it be better to remove (cut off) the moulded "strips" from one side of the frame and reattach them over the new piece of glass to secure it to the frame? For info, I am planning to use a single sheet of glass (the window is being used in a storage shed).

Last edited by Davilo; 03-25-17 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-25-17, 01:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Are both sides the same? Inside and out? If so, then you are correct, the mortise and tenon corners of the frame would need to be disassembled.

Old 03-25-17, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You could also cut one side off using a razor knife and a sharp chisel, then set the glass, and install stop molding. Or cut the outside as above, use glazing points and glazing compound to hold the glass and weatherproof it.

Old 03-25-17, 02:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think I'm going to try using stop moulding on one side. I don't really want to pull the frame apart because I don't want to risk breaking or splitting the wood. It's for a shed/workshop so it's not a big deal having stop moulding on one side that doesn't match the other side.

Thanks to both of you for the input/advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: