Windows help?

Old 03-27-17, 02:02 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Windows help?

The entire front part of my house is made of 3 massive, single pane, non-energy-efficient windows, and I want to rip them out and re-do them.

I understand this will mean I have to add in studs and siding and insulation everywhere that I am removing windows.

We can't afford a contractor, and we do have someone who can help and follow instructions when the time comes for us to do the project, but until then, we're looking for advice and knowledge.

I have some pictures of the exterior, and can definitely get better ones, as well as getting some pictures of the inside.

What we want are 2 or 3 windows that can open, and be energy efficient.
We're also toying with the idea of a bay window/reading nook, but we're unsure of the labor involved in building one.

Old 03-27-17, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Removing and replacing non energy efficient windows is common and a great boost to your bottom line of heating and cooling. It is definitely DIY (with our help, of course )

Pictures will definitely help as well as the dimensions of the existing windows and the ones you plan on installing. You may want to consider casement windows for a good flow of air on nice days. Bay or bow windows require extra framing and support, and present the most problems with add on windows.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Since you are new to the forums, post two now and two later on. The forum doesn't like new members posting a bunch of pictures at once.

Old 03-27-17, 10:21 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
A bay or bow window will about double the cost at least.
Really need those pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: