Dryer Vent Hookup??

Old 01-23-05, 12:24 PM
jkutsor
Visiting Guest
Question Dryer Vent Hookup??

I have a new home and I have been having a problem identifying the part or who makes such a part. I have what seems like a slim dryer vent hookup.
My dryer has the standard 4" hookup and the slim inlet in the wall is a ~6" oblong (sorta rectangular in shape, but rounded off corners). I currently have a "rigged" setup, but I am worried that I am causing some mild to severs back pressure for my dryer. Does anyone have an idea where to get this part or how to identify it???

TIA's
John

Old 01-23-05, 12:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Have you checked at home depot and lowes they have the small flat like duct for the drier. add on to it and go into the side of the pipe.Id ask the builder who put it in and see them about getting it hooked up

ED

Old 01-23-05, 12:39 PM
jkutsor
Visiting Guest
Re: Dryer Vent Hookup??

I have tried both places only to come up short, also whenever I ask them they always seem to have the "uhh-what" reply. I guess I'll just have to contact the builder.... Thanks

Old 01-23-05, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The pipe in the wall is 6"? Not sure what you can do there.. I'd ask the builder or HVAC dealer who ran the duct.

If it's a 4" pipe that has been "squshed" to an oval. then use the foil pipe.

They did that to my parents house, there is no fitting to fit that.. What I end up doing is taking a foil dryer pipe, and that will wrap around it.. Then seal it off with foil tape.

Old 01-23-05, 04:30 PM
Wink

There is an oval gas B Vent pipe made could you have that there. Thinking for a gas drier???????? You can find fittings for that at a HVAC shop.

ED

Old 01-24-05, 04:35 AM
jkutsor
Visiting Guest
RE: Dryer Vent Hookup??

Yeah the Dryer is a Gas dryer...

Also like I had said earlier the lenght of the inlet in the wall is an slim design.
It is ~6" in width and ~2" depth and is retangluar with rounded off corners.

I will check to see about the B hookup...

Thanks,
John

Old 01-24-05, 09:47 AM
Wink

Gas vent is what you have then. There are all kinds of fittings for that oval pipe .

ED

Old 01-24-05, 11:19 AM
Ed, not sure what you mean? Dryers don't use B-Vent, it just a regular 4" pipe.

Old 01-24-05, 01:15 PM
Wink

Its a gas dryer he said and that has to be a gas B vent pipe it gets hot. You use this oval B pipe for inside a wall like for a gas wall heater will fit in a 2X4 wall.

ED

Last edited by Ed Imeduc; 01-24-05 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-24-05, 03:13 PM
Never heard of that.

I sell appliances, and done apppliance repairs in the past and all dryer gas or electric are vented in a regular 4" pipe. Never heard of B-vent used for gas clothes dryer. The exhaust from the clothes dryer is no hotter than the electric ones.

Unless that's code in FL to use the B-Vent.?

Old 02-09-05, 05:13 AM
J
Same Vent Design

My new house is under construction and has the same type of dryer vent receptacle that the originator describes. There is a recessed square metal box about a foot wide and 2 feet tall that is attached to the studs. Inside, at the top of this box is a pipe that is about 6 inches wide, 2 inches deep, and has rounded corners. This connector transitions to standard 4 inch round metal dryer vent duct once it exits the box. The duct runs up tinside the wall to the attic and then runs to the outside of the house. It is for an electric dryer. I've seen them all over the neighborhood. Looks like I'm going to to need a hose for this weird thing as well!

Old 02-10-05, 05:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Jay

Originally Posted by Jay11J
Never heard of that.

I sell appliances, and done apppliance repairs in the past and all dryer gas or electric are vented in a regular 4" pipe. Never heard of B-vent used for gas clothes dryer. The exhaust from the clothes dryer is no hotter than the electric ones.

Unless that's code in FL to use the B-Vent.?
I don't do dryers but I believe it's code here too. Maybe it's just metal that's required but I think it's B-vent.

Old 02-10-05, 08:18 PM
I know alot of areas requres the metal pipes vs the foil stuff.. The plastic slinky is no longer made.. At least I don't see them around here in stores.

LIke I said before, I just can't see the B-vent used for dryer venting.. The exhaust is no hotter than an electric dryer. How would a builder know if the home owner is going to use a gas or electric dryer?

Old 06-01-05, 05:43 AM
jkutsor
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jmm706
My new house is under construction and has the same type of dryer vent receptacle that the originator describes. There is a recessed square metal box about a foot wide and 2 feet tall that is attached to the studs. Inside, at the top of this box is a pipe that is about 6 inches wide, 2 inches deep, and has rounded corners. This connector transitions to standard 4 inch round metal dryer vent duct once it exits the box. The duct runs up tinside the wall to the attic and then runs to the outside of the house. It is for an electric dryer. I've seen them all over the neighborhood. Looks like I'm going to to need a hose for this weird thing as well!
Has anyone, mainly jmm706, come up with the exact adapter for this hook-up type yet??? Because I have yet to look into the oval type B adapter.... Is that the correct one?

Old 06-01-05, 05:16 PM
JohnT
Visiting Guest
Dryer Box

I think what you may have is a dryer box (www.dryerbox.com) or something similar. A rectangle with round corners is called an oval which is what is required to get a 4" pipe in a 3 ½" wall. Simply attach a flexible aluminum duct to it and tape with aluminum tape as another poster has suggested. Dryer vents are usually always single wall pipe as apposed to class "B" chimney which is double wall pipe.

Old 01-31-07, 07:11 PM
J
Thumbs up dryer vent hookup

I Found The Answer

4" Oval To Round Adapter
Go To: EFI.ORG - Look At Item #4530.37
Cost Is Only About $14

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: